Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samosi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Hello,

I am looking at buying my first mac in a few days, a 15" mbp but am unsure weather to go for the 2.4ghz or the 2.5ghz......is there really that much difference? Obviously there is, but is it worth the extra £200....

Any advice would be appreciated.....

Thanks,

Samosi

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Hello,

I am looking at buying my first mac in a few days, a 15" mbp but am unsure weather to go for the 2.4ghz or the 2.5ghz......is there really that much difference? Obviously there is, but is it worth the extra £200....

Any advice would be appreciated.....

Thanks,

Samosi

Depends what you do, but in most cases the answer is most likely to be no. I've saved my £167 for a rainy day, occurring frequently now.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
2.5/2.4 = 4% difference in pure compute scenarios. Which means 0-4 % difference in speed. It may be worth 50 pound but no where near 200.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
2.4 GHz VS 2.5GHz isnt worth it in my opinion.
Only .1 GHz for 250?
Def not worth it.
Id rather spend the money on more RAM or SSD

samosi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
cool, thanks for the reply guys....yeah, might spend the extra on an ssd.....

eyeBal

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Amsterdam
Spending it on an SSD would be a better choice, you'll notice the increase in speed it gives a lot better than the .1 GHz CPU increase.

Quinoky

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
Groningen, Netherlands
You realize that there's no TRIM support for non-Apple SSD's, right?

I do, but the M4's controller has some form of garbage collection which should probably be sufficient. Also, there's TRIM enabler for Mac OS X which forces the TRIM command, but I'm a little hesitant to use it. I'll just regularly benchmark the SSD to see whether performance suffers, but so far, I haven't heard anyone experiencing this yet.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I posted this in a reply to another thread…

In order of upgrades I would do:
1) Display — Upgrade to the antiglare.
2) SSD — The real performance booster. Importing pictures for me takes a quarter the time it does on an SSD compared to the HDD in my computer.
3) Memory — It's a cheap upgrade, but I still think the SSD is a better choice in this day and age if you don't have one already.
4) Convert optical drive to HDD — Since you got an SSD upgrade by now, you might want more space; this would be the way to go unless you really need the optical drive.
5) CPU upgrade — This is the upgrade you do when you've exhausted all other upgrade paths. You're flushed with cash and you already maxed everything else out and this is only option left. Unfortunately this must be chosen at time of purchase, so if you're following my recommendations, do this upgrade if you fully intend to max every option on your computer and your need somewhere to put those extra rolls of bills weighing you down.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
For anyone who cares, the 2.2 to 2.3 was not only a .1 bump, but the cache moved from 6MB l3 to 8MB l3, which also applies to the 2.4 and 2.5 respectively.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
For anyone who cares, the 2.2 to 2.3 was not only a .1 bump, but the cache moved from 6MB l3 to 8MB l3, which also applies to the 2.4 and 2.5 respectively.

Even coupled, I don't think it's worth the £150+ cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.