CPU/RAM/Battery usage with Wallsaver - MBP 13" late '09

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by batsun, Jul 22, 2010.

1. batsun macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've recently downloaded and have started using wallsaver, specifically to get my 3D desktop aquarium screensaver to run on my desktop, as well as some others. I've noticed that my laptop has been running a little hot with it lately, could just be me using it a bit more. My question is - can some screensavers use up excessive power/whatever (sorry I'm not computer savvy to know what it takes to run) such as Aquarium, electric sheep and strands?

Cheers:)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, any multimedia application can use more system resources, increase temps and shorten battery life.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, as they use the CPU, which uses power and power generates heat, thus the more CPU you use, the more power is drawn, therefore more heat is generated.

If you can, have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

4. celticpride678

Yes, having a live wallpaper will certainly increase CPU power and take more RAM, and in turn, take up battery life.

5. batsun thread starter macrumors newbie

well there you go, "ScreenSaver Engine" is taking up 12%. Opinion of the forum, is this excessively high?

6. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Excessive? Meh... I'd say no.