CPU Socket on Sonnet cards? Upgrade possible?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AnonMac50, Jul 22, 2019.

1. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Hi, I have a Sonnet Crescendo G3 (for PCI Macs), and I was wondering what socket is the CPU? I found a listing for a G4 CPU (by itself) and was wondering if I can directly replace the old CPU with the new one. Any ideas?

2. Project Alice macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

Unless it is one of the ZIF socket CPU upgrade cards, the CPU will be soldered directly to it. If it is a ZIF board, it will take any of the upgrades for B&W or Yikes!

All of the G3s have the same pin layout as the earlier 7400/7410 G4s, but unless you have the correct equipment to de-solder/re-solder a CPU, which I assume you don't by the nature of this thread; are not upgradeable.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

The Crescendo series are CPU cards meant for computers like the 8500/8600/9500/9600(not only those, but the cards are interchangeable between those and a few others). You can't readily change the CPUs on those cards.

There are cards colloquially called "slockets" that give you a ZIF socket on a CPU card to fit one of these computers. @LightBulbFun has one that he's played with a fair bit-I had one at one point, but never did anything with it and sold it. You can fit a variety of ZIF CPUs as used in the beige G3, B&W G3, and Yikes! G4 to these, but IIRC they get buggy with anything other than a G3 or a 7400 G4. That means that you can't do something like put one of the 1ghz Sonnet G4s on one of them.

4. LightBulbFun macrumors 68020

LightBulbFun

as @bunnspecial alluded to Sonnet never made any slockets

all their Crescendo cards where all in 1 packages so to speak like an original Apple CPU card

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...os-x-10-5-8-power-macintosh-9600-fun.2144305/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/power-macintosh-g3-beige-running-os-x-10-5-8-leopard.1937844/

heres a couple posts of mine where I mess with an XL8 Slocket and G4 ZIF (although by the time of the 9600, the XL8 ZIF was out of the picture, and I was using a 350Mhz G4 ZIF from a Yikes! in the slocket :) )

in my experience while Yikes! G4 ZIFs can be touch and go in G3 beiges as me and @bunnspecial found out

(sometimes they work well, sometimes they only boot with 1 RAM stick and get stuck at the happy mac)

they at least seem to work fine in Slockets :)

5. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816