CPU System Leak after upgrading to 10.10.4

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by tgd85, Jul 6, 2015.

1. tgd85 macrumors member

Currently my CPU is running 13% when completely idol. System % is constantly in the range of 12-14%. But I can't find the leak. Nothing in Activity Monitor shows high system CPU usage. How can I find out what's causing the leak?

Edit: kernal_task is showing 65% CPU usage. What's going on here?

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Which is normal if you just upgrade your system to 10.10.4. Unless the kernal_task stuck at 99%, then may be something wrong.

3. tgd85 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. After a few shutdown / restart cycles, it seems to be operating again at normal levels.

Just out of curiosity, why would installing a recent upgrade cause that to happen? I installed the upgrade a few days ago and hadn't noticed anything until my machine literally became hot to the touch.

4. tgd85 thread starter macrumors member

I'm still experiencing this issue. High system CPU usage starts immediately after booting from shutdown. Always between 12- 15% kernal_task. The issue persists over several shutdown / restarts. After a few cycles, it disappears for that particular boot, but then reappears upon rebooting.

Any ideas?

5. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I will say 12- 15% kernal_task is normal. Not really high CPU usage. Some system background activity (e.g. indexing, Time machine, etc) may cause this kind of CPU usage (or higher).

Just 12-15% of a core, really nothing to worry about. You better let the OS handle itself rather than disturb it.

6. tgd85 thread starter macrumors member

My fault for not explaining more. These are the readouts from Activity Monitor.

kernal_task CPU = 66.5% CPU Time = 8:04 Threads = 107 Idle Wakeups = 55,135

The 13% I was referring to was the total System %. (quad core machine)

After about 15 reboots, it's finally back down to 2.4% or 0.5% of total System. I'm terrified to reboot my machine again...

7. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

You should be able to patch it right up with some JBWeld.

Seriously, you are chasing a non-issue. If it is showing high CPU utilization, that means it has something it needs to get done.

8. tampageek macrumors 6502

tampageek

I have been going nuts with this issue since upgrading to 10.10.4. Today I finally bit the bullet and did a clean install with a bootable USB I made. Problem solved - and my battery draining issues also solved. I had no idea how smooth Yosemite could be.

Clean install solves all- at least for me it did.

9. tgd85 thread starter macrumors member

I'm hoping to avoid that fate if possible, but it's good to know that did the trick. There are a few posts from others who are experiencing a similar issue over at the Apple Support forums.

I wasn't having any issues prior to the recent update. Were you able to restore from a backup after the clean install?

10. tampageek macrumors 6502

tampageek

Actually...no. All my backup drives (3 separate ones) would only allow me to access "today" even though it showed there were dozens there. I think this may have to do with the firmware update and Apple's gradual push (as in OS X 10.11 SIP) to block everyone (but them) from access to the hard drive. This also hinders the users the ability to roll back the OS to a stable version.

Fortunately I keep copies of photos and important files on thumb drives so I was able to restore them individually. Pain the butt but it worked.

So Upgrader's beware - and make ordinary copies of your files because the time machine backup to the previous OS may NOT work!