CPU Temp Differences Power Mac G5 Quad

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ih8reno, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Hi everyone,

I have inspected my quad for any signs of leakage and there is none. I notice when I run the unit in high or automatic mode for the processor that the temps on CPU B can go to about 10 degrees Celsius hotter then A. Is this something I should be worried about. The fans also ramp up somewhat.

Attached Files:

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

The temperatures in your attachment look just fine, especially if these were captured after running the unit on high for a period.

3. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

The fans seem to ramp up quite a bit. Maybe it's just me comparing the sound to other machines like my pro. I find the pci fan ramps up a lot.

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Do you have the energy saver settings set to reduced? I find that this helps a lot with fans ramping up.

5. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Oddly enough I find the same, it's the only way to keep it quiet. Just a shame because I want to use it at full or at least automatic settings

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I can live with my G5 quad on the "high setting" but the Auto drives me nuts because of the constant ramping up-n-down.
    For most of my purposes the low setting is good enough.

7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I don't think your electric bill will want you to use it on full settings! I overheard my parents talking, and they were confused as to why our bill went up so much.... I chuckled quietly and went into my room! More on topic, the Quads with the dual pumps tend to have more fluctuating temps, as one pump may be more worn then the other. I like the single pump Quads, but either system is much better than that of the Dual 2.5 and 2.7