CPU Temp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EllDay, Dec 19, 2011.

1. EllDay macrumors newbie

Hi

New to all this so go easy. I own a early 2011 macbook pro with the i7 2.2ghz and 6770m card.

I recently used ATI overclocking to boost performance whiles gaming on windows 64bit.

My question is .... My GPU temp is 84 - 86C, but my CPU reads 100C with a app called core temp.

Is this normal? Ow n im not really pushing the machine that hard, even when i go back to old set up b4 clocked i still hit 100C

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those temperatures are fine. If the computer does get too hot, it will shut down to prevent damage.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

4. EllDay thread starter macrumors newbie

Why dose my CPU show temps that high?

Is it all about GPU temp with MacBook Pro?

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yep, that's normal and fine. I'm converting a video to HD right now on my iMac. It's an i7 2.93GHz and all 8 cores are just about maxed and only near 190F.

[​IMG]

6. EllDay thread starter macrumors newbie

So as long as my GPU temp does not exceed 90C im ok?

Why dose the CPU allow it's self to run at 100C?

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Why does it? Because it's within it's threshold of tolerance. Once it exceeds that, it will shutdown on you.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The CPU can run up to 110 or even 120C. Because it has to. You're using it and using any electronic makes heat. The GPU is rated up to 110C.

9. EllDay thread starter macrumors newbie

No never go's past (GPU) 86C

I dont understand the CPU temp thow? What is it and why dose it show 100C when gaming?

----------

Cheers dude.

So if i stay lower than 90C GPU and 105C CPU i will live happily :D

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your temps rise because you're gaming, which puts demands on your CPU/GPU. Read my earlier post. Your Mac will automatically shut down if it truly overheats. If it's not shutting down, don't worry about it.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You don't know what a CPU is? It's the Central Processing Unit. The single most important component of any computer. It does the lion's share of all the work a computer does. Way more than a GPU. It shows 100C when gaming because most games are very taxing on CPUs & GPU's. They're very CPU intensive.

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

That combination doesn't exist. You probably have a 6750m card.

Does it stay at 100C or does it stabilize at a lower temperature when you keep pushing the machine? What were CPU/GPU temperatures like before you started overclocking?

What other people here say is correct. The CPU is intelligent enough to throttle and/or shut off if it gets too hot, to prevent damage. This means, as long as you don't experience unexpected shutdowns, you are fine.

The reason why I was asking about staying at 100C is as follows: Your CPU has a TJunction of 100C. If what I read is correct (which is not guaranteed), this means that the CPU will start to throttle around 95C, i.e. it will reduce it's performance to keep the temperatures stable. This could effectively imply that by overclocking your GPU you are loosing CPU power.
    I know and understand very little about this, actually if you look on CoreTemps website, they have some more explanations.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Here is a decent article about Intel i7 CPU's and temperatures.

From the article, Intel says that it's actual maximum operating temperature is a trade secret.

14. l3l2lzzl3 macrumors newbie

I think those temperatures are fine. The CPU is designed to tolerate those temperatures.

If you still think it's way to hot for daily usage, I just you seek help from Apple :apple:.

15. Maverick513 macrumors member

You can roast meat on that hot CPU already. Overlocking the GPU and CPU will give you better FPS in the game and a lot of heat as well. You should get better fan for this. Too more heat will bring system instability and reduce GPU/CPU lifespan. The shutdown temperate is the deadline and should not be reached.