Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Hi, my late 2008 15" MBP 2.8Ghz typically shows a CPU temp above 100 degrees Celsius ~ 216 F when using Handbrake. What is considered a normal operating temperature range?

Also Activity Monitor show that Handbrake is using more than 100% of the CPU how is this possible? What does it mean? How can you use more than 100% of the CPU? Can someone explain this?

Thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Most probably you have a Core 2 Duo CPU in your Mac, which has two logical cores, which Activity Monitor shows as two diagrams, and when processes use the whole CPU (and both cores) it shows as 200%.

The temperature is maybe normal for video encoding, the CPU is build to withstand that kind of temperature.

The more the CPU is used, the more power it consumes and radiates, the hotter it gets.

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
The mac minis tend to actually get hotter.. or at least mine does, particularly when i was doing processor intensive stuff. itunes, handbrake, safari, and photoshop :)

PTP

Animalk

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Montreal Canada
According to Intel specifications, your CPU should of been shut down the moment it reached 100C.

You are not operating at normal (or safe for that matter) temperatures.

Make sure you are not blocking the vents and the computer is sitting on a hard and flat surface. If this is already the case, take it in to the Apple immediately.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
According to Intel specifications, your CPU should of been shut down the moment it reached 100C.

You are not operating at normal (or safe for that matter) temperatures.

Make sure you are not blocking the vents and the computer is sitting on a hard and flat surface. If this is already the case, take it in to the Apple immediately.

No, that is where it starts to throttle. Please don't talk out your ass.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/275776-tjunction-max-thermtrip-prochot.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.