Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
hello you all, i've met a headake problem with my mac pro 5.1 2009, it has 2x hexa 3.46ghz, and it has worked well, but after I returned from vacancies, it won't start again, I've tested with another mac pro, and find the problem is from CPU tray, but I can't understand its behavior, neither find the problem, nor solution of course, please someone help, I note the tests on old cup tray below for your exam:

1, I put the single tray with each hexa CPU, worked
2, i put another two CPU with low frequency to the same CPU tray, there were quad, worked
3, i put back both old hexa 3.46ghz, it wont start, nothing happened, the fans turn on, no start tone, no flash, no light on logicboard, the front power light on as normal

so the cpu are good, the cpu tray is good, and they worked well, why now they wont work again? not a clue, please help.

Amsterdamned

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2018
Adelaide
Any chance you could try another power supply?

The x5690 are 133w chips so it could be they’re trying to draw a little too much on a failing PSU.

En tout cas, bonne chance :)

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
Any chance you could try another power supply?

The x5690 are 133w chips so it could be they’re trying to draw a little too much on a failing PSU.

En tout cas, bonne chance :)

merci mon ami, je repond en anglais pour que les autres comprennent.
i dont need to try another psu, cause the same mac pro powered the other cpu tray of 12x 3.46ghz, so the problem is not from psu at least.
[doublepost=1536448290][/doublepost]is that possible, I guess myself, the problem is from the firmware? but how, i did nothing, it just happened one day like that from a mac pro working well, and the mac pro is good, the cpu tray is good, the cpu are good, but you cant start on when get them together......

Amsterdamned

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2018
Adelaide
merci mon ami, je repond en anglais pour que les autres comprennent.
i dont need to try another psu, cause the same mac pro powered the other cpu tray of 12x 3.46ghz, so the problem is not from psu at least.

Ah, ok, missed that you’d tried the CPU tray in another machine.

If the tray works fine with lower wattage CPUs, it could be a heat issue but it’s unlikly to happen on a cold boot, so quickly.

Do you any software that reports Northbridge temperature?

Also, have a look at this post, from JedNZ, as he lists the steps he took to diagnose and resolve a similar issue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cmp-2009-cpu-tray-issue.2111481/

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Reduce the wattage of the mac pro to the minimum, so you can check if the PSU has enough power. Pull everything but one ram stick. If the Mac boings it could be the PSU

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
CPU delidded?
yes, for this model 2009 i have to, but they worked seperately, so it could not be the probleme of cpu
[doublepost=1536703924][/doublepost]
Ah, ok, missed that you’d tried the CPU tray in another machine.

If the tray works fine with lower wattage CPUs, it could be a heat issue but it’s unlikly to happen on a cold boot, so quickly.

Do you any software that reports Northbridge temperature?

Also, have a look at this post, from JedNZ, as he lists the steps he took to diagnose and resolve a similar issue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cmp-2009-cpu-tray-issue.2111481/

i've used the same mac pro with another tray 12x 3.46ghz, it worked with all other components, so think not the problem with psu
[doublepost=1536704059][/doublepost]
Reduce the wattage of the mac pro to the minimum, so you can check if the PSU has enough power. Pull everything but one ram stick. If the Mac boings it could be the PSU
i've used the same mac pro with another tray 12x 3.46ghz, it worked with all other components, so think not the problem with psu, i even changed the place of cpu, did not worked, but singlely yes it start. i've bought another two non delided cpu to try tomorrow, will let you know the results

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris

tried pull everything out, leave only the cpu tray, one ram:
1 both cpu 3.46ghz, front power light on as normal, no chime, don't start
2 single cpu right positon, one ram of each side, or one ram on right side, chime and start
3 single cpu left postion, one ram on left, front power light flash (like when ram has problem), no chime, dont start
4 new not delided cpu on both side, one ram on each side, front power light on as normal, no chime, dont start
5 usd 2 quad core originaux delided 2.26Ghz on both sides, one ram on right, chime, start
6 start with single cpu a, pvam 3 times, go the menu, shut down, then put back cpu b, no chime no start
7 tried cpu tray on other mp, no chime no start
8 cleaned Northbridge heatsink, new thermic pate, reput cpu tray, no chime no start
9 tried other cpu tray on this mp, chime and start, with every components, so not problem with psu
10 i've delided 2 x5650 12x 2.66Ghz, installed, chime and started normally...
so the normal reason seems to be 2.66ghz dont use that much power, but is there that much different power use between 3.46ghz and 2.66Ghz? but i've tried with other tray with 2x 3.46Ghz cpu, it started fine. realy a headake...
i've checked the cpu, both are good to start from right side, so what is the problem could be please? please help!

Last edited:

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
Hi, so you have tried another CPU tray in your Mac Pro and all works? yet your own CPU tray with 2 cpu's fails, have you tried your CPU tray in another Mac Pro to see if it works? below you say another CPU tray works ok in your Mac Pro, well reverse the situation and put your CPU tray in the other Mac Pro. if it fails then its your CPU tray. check the CPU socket very carefully any bent pins or stuck pins will cause CPU to fail. socket damage is easy to do if you over tighten the heatsink with out deliding the CPU's the damage might already be done to the CPU socket.

i've used the same mac pro with another tray 12x 3.46ghz, it worked with all other components, so think not the problem with psu, i even changed the place of cpu, did not worked, but singlely yes it start. i've bought another two non delided cpu to try tomorrow, will let you know the results

Last edited:

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
Hi, so you have tried another CPU tray in your Mac Pro and all works? yet your own CPU tray with 2 cpu's fails, have you tried your CPU tray in another Mac Pro to see if it works? below you say another CPU tray works ok in your Mac Pro, well reverse the situation and put your CPU tray in the other Mac Pro. if it fails then its your CPU tray. check the CPU socket very carefully any bent pins or stuck pins will cause CPU to fail. socket damage is easy to do if you over tighten the heatsink with out deliding the CPU's the damage might already be done to the CPU socket.

tried cpu tray on another mp but 2010 and 2012, no works
not tried these cpu on another tray, because others a 2010 2012 non delided
socket are find, no dents fall no weared thing on it, quite beautiful lines, they worked fine with lower frenquency cpus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.