CPU Upgarde Early 08 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by desantii, Feb 6, 2009.

1. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

Is the CPU on the MBPs soldered or socketed? I have a chance to get a t9600 CPu to replace the T9300 cpu in my 17MBP and wanted to know if its doable.

If so are any warranty void stickers broken, I know in the iMac you break one sticker when taking off the heatsink

thanks

2. desantii thread starter macrumors 6502

desantii

Why apple, why!! Well I'll stay with my current CPU then. thanks for the reply

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't think it's Apple ... most notebooks are soldered in order to save space.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Because usually the socket for the CPU is as thick as the CPU itself, so if it was socketed it would mean bigger computer overall. Besides most people don't upgrade laptop CPUs—and Apple wants you to buy a new computer anyways.

For example Thinkpads T-series have upgradeable CPUs, but then you get the thicker computers.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

My old Dell Inspiron 1100 has a socket for the CPU. I thought about upgrading it once, but since it wasn't designed to be upgraded, there was only about one processor I could choose from (one that Dell offered as a BTO option). It was very hard to find the processor that would work, and it would have been $150+ for very little increase in speed in a laptop that is probably not worth much more than $200 now.

That laptop is also about twice as thick as my MBP, and it weighs over 8lbs. It is about as powerful as "netbooks" that seem to be so popular these days, but it is massive and has terrible battery life!

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

and glued!!

[​IMG]
    Photo by ultraneo

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

But ain't that like 2inches thick? :D

8. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

If you look on Ebay you can purchase ball grid array Core 2 Duo mobile processors for soldering down to Motherboards. You'd need a machine for it though as it would be to difficult to do by hand. I wouldn't do it nor recommend it but its worth mentioning for the crazies out there :D

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You mean I shouldn't add cache to my processor?