Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tylamb19

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
Well, now I've done it.

I finally got my long hex driver and 12 core X5680s in and went to work. I replaced CPU A and then suddenly, red lights everywhere and no boot.

Oh man, bent pins. Lots of them. Somehow I must have tightened the CPU a little too much on one side. Now I have a burn mark on my X5680 and discolored and bent pins (pic attached).

After a while of working at them, I was able to bend the pins back into place just enough to get the machine to run with the old CPUs reinstalled, but the computer only sees 40GB of the installed 64GB of RAM and the diag LEDs are on for some of the sticks. Something's busted and I'd bet a lot of money it's those pins.

Do any of you know of someone/somewhere that fixes these sorts of issues with good success and for a reasonable price? Or is it a total loss and I should buy a new CPU tray and try again?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 5.33.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 5.33.22 PM.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_3082 copy.JPG
    IMG_3082 copy.JPG
    951.5 KB · Views: 278

usna92

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Seattle
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it didn't comeback with the old CPUs you are probably looking at a new CPU tray.

tylamb19

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it didn't comeback with the old CPUs you are probably looking at a new CPU tray.
Well, it came back to life with the old CPUs once I bent the pins somewhat back but that RAM isn't appearing. That's the only real issue with the usability of the machine. I stress tested it and the computer didn't crash...

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I think you need a super good eye hand coordination (and super stable hand) to fix it. It's possible, but may also further damage the socket (e.g. other pin).

And I don't think any computer repair shop will be expert to fix this matter but ask for a low price (e.g. much cheaper than hunt a 4,1 tray / whole cMP on eBay).

Anyway, before you do the CPU upgrade again. Did you de-lid the CPU? Or use washer?

tylamb19

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
I think you need a super good eye hand coordination (and super stable hand) to fix it. It's possible, but may also further damage the socket (e.g. other pin).

And I don't think any computer repair shop will be expert to fix this matter but ask for a low price (e.g. much cheaper than hunt a 4,1 tray / whole cMP on eBay).

Anyway, before you do the CPU upgrade again. Did you de-lid the CPU? Or use washer?
I attempted the washer method but did not succeed... And I tried bending back most of the pins, which I think is how I got it limping along but there are a few that i just can't seem to get back up. I'll keep on the lookout for a 4,1 8 core (dual CPU) tray though since most that I see are quad core (single CPU) and I want to have a 12 core machine... Guess I should probably get someone to do it for me next time.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
You might have as much luck looking for an entire machine, especially one with a bashed case or bad power supply, in addition to looking for just the CPU tray.

Reactions: Squuiid

pdafan

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Believe it or not, the washer method actually cost me to bend the pins and screwed up the board as well.
Why? Too confident that the washer will tell me when to stop tightening. Consequence? Over-tightening.
Without washer, out of 5 times, I got all 5 successfully upgraded. All by feel (and per 1/4 turn tightening and testing)

tylamb19

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
I found an almost equivalent 8 core cMP on eBay for $420, so I bought that. Hopefully this will be all ok. Most likely I will sell this one as is and get some money back...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.