CPU Upgrade in iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BasilFawlty, Jun 18, 2012.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Has anyone here successfully upgraded the iMac CPU from i5 to i7? I know it's possible, but would like to hear any first-hand accounts. Any problems are issues to watch out for? How much difference did you notice?

2. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Sorry, not a first hand account on upgrading an iMac's CPU, but I think this bit of info could be helpful.

Depending upon the chipset/socket (1156 / 1155), etc., it should be a fairly straight forward swap. Wikipedia has a list of the exact CPUs used in each iMac so you may want to stick to what has been used in an iMac from Apple (i.e., only use an i7 that Apple uses). The current 2011 gen is i7 2600s for the 21.5" and i7 2600 for the 27".

But, there is a sticker on one of the heat sink screws that says VOID if removed. So if you are cool with that or out of warranty, its no different than upgrading a typical CPU processor, just a totally different form factor and some fragile pieces in there! :eek:

3. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Yeah, I wouldn't even attempt it while it's still uner Apple Care. I suspect it's the task of just getting to it that is the real challenge. PS: Thanks for the link.

4. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

I'm considering the move to an i7 2.93ghz in my iMac actually, for the money you can pick them up for it's well worth it, especially if like me you're coming form an i3 3.2ghz chip.

I did a cpu upgrade in my mac mini and whilst it's not as simple as swapping out a stick of RAM it is do-able if you read the guides and take your time. Make sure you monitor the temps for a while after the process just to ensure you've installed it correctly.

My iMac is now out of it's warranty, and i'd probably wait until it was if I were you.

If you do decide to do it, the following guides are very helpful

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Upgrade-iMac-Intel-Core-i3-CPU-to-Core-i7/8670/1#.T-NnuVrfY0s

Ignore the title of this one, it helps you with the MB removal

http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php

5. xserban macrumors newbie

BasilFawlty, did you manage to update the CPU? I too have an i5 2.7 27" iMac mid 2012 and plan to upgrade the CPU to 2600 (non K)

Can you let me know if it's stable? What's the temperature and if you had any issues what so ever.

Thanks!