Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oysterboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
I have a 1.83 Core 2 duo Mac mini. A bit of research has told me that I can upgrade the CPU, what are my options and how much improvement will I see?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The fastest CPU you can put in it is the Intell T7600 Core2Duo that runs at 2.33Ghz. That's a jump of 500Mhz. It's a gain, but not noticeable as going from a CoreSolo or CoreDuo Mini. See how well your current 1.86Ghz Core2Duo works before investing in a T7600.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I have a 1.83 Core 2 duo Mac mini. A bit of research has told me that I can upgrade the CPU, what are my options and how much improvement will I see?

As already stated, it's "only" a 500mhz bump. The GPU is the relatively sad Intel 950 which is probably holding you back more than the CPU. Further, anything that the 1.83ghz can't do, more than likely the 2.33ghz won't be able to do it either. It's less about speed at this point and more about the generation of processors. The core i series is vastly superior to the old Core2duo series.... You might also check your RAM utilization. If you are running 2GB or less, you might be maxing out the RAM. Your Mini can handle up to 4GB (with 3.3GB usable). That might be a better upgrade than the CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.