CPU upgrader, Mac Pro 1,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Baunkjaer, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Has anyone in here tried to upgrade CPU´s in the Mac Pro 2006?
    I beleive I´ve read somewhere, that it´s possible to swap the two dual core Xeons with a pair of quadcore Xeons.

If possible which model do fit? I.e. the Xeon L5430 would be nice.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Baunkjaer thread starter macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

OK, thanks for the quick reply. They do seem rather pricy, though!!

4. MacVidCards Suspended

Does Anandtech know something that we don't?

From the story about upgrading Nehalem, I noticed this little tidbit.

Anyone know what he is talking about?

" While you could stick Clovertown into the first generation Mac Pros, you couldn’t upgrade them to Harpertown without hardware modifications to the system (don’t ask me what they are :)..)."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2800

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

First generation Mac Pro used "Woodcrest" (Xeon 51xx). On April 2007 Apple added new high-end BTO option, "Clovertown" (Xeon 53xx). AFAIK, that was just new CPUs, the logic board remained the same meaning that the owners of "Woodcrest" MP were able to buy "Clovertown" CPUs from 3rd party and add it to their system without any modifications needed (used same steppings)

"Harpertown" (Xeon 54xx) was used in 2008 Mac Pro and it used the same LGA 771 socket but its steppings were different from "Woodcrest" and "Clovertown" which means that without an EFI update, which of course never came, the owners of 2006 and 2007 Mac Pro were not able to use "Harpertown" in their systems. The hardware modification likely means swapping the logic board

I hope this clarifies that for you

6. MacVidCards Suspended

yes, i knew all of that

but i don't think his cryptic comment meant switching the logic board.

maybe someone in a less "cut and paste" mindset could figure this out?

sounds to me like the guy knows something we don't

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you could flash the 2008 EFI to older Mac Pro, then it might be possible though that us software trick. He did say "don’t ask me what they are ..)" though so looks like he does not :D Anyway, Harpertown is only minor upgrade as they both use the same architecture, it just has faster clocks (up to 3.2GHz). Not worth the hassle IMO (~10% performance increase)

8. Baunkjaer thread starter macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

I agree.
    As you seems to know you Mac´s, do you then think i will be worth the time and money to upgrade the Dual Xeons with Quad´s.

The reason for my initial post is, that I´ve allways wanted a MP, but still think they are way too expensive.
    I´m planning on buying a used MP1,1 with stock configuration. And frankly I think two duals will do it just fine for me.
    My current iMac suits me well, but I would lave the opportunity for a decent graphiccard, and more RAM. Furthermore I love the design.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's still faster than your iMac because it's dual dual-core (i.e. quad core) so if your iMac is fine, then Mac Pro will be more than fine. You can always upgrade later on if needed

10. Baunkjaer thread starter macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Spot on. That´s why I find the MP so great. Furhtermore I´ve a friend with contacts at Intel:D
    Refurbished MP1,1 is around 9K danish - 1.500 US Bucks:mad:

Thanks for your help. It´s appreciated here.

11. MacVidCards Suspended

I upgraded my 1,1 with a couple 5160s for FREE. That was cost after selling my DUal 2.66s. I still toss around idea of adding 5365s but now getting 5580/90s for my 2009 has moved higher in the priority list. (for many apps, the "old" Quad 3.0 is quicker than the "new" Octo 2.26). Unless you have an app that can use more than 4 cores, (or Grand Central ever starts doing what it was hyped to) you will get much better results from fewer cores at higher speeds, at least for the Krone spent.

BTW, as you are in Denmark. Are you a fan of KiMs? I was Art Director for live action part of approx 10 of their commercials over past 4 years. My fave was the 10% spot where we made Jorgen into a rapper. I enjoyed the crackers but wasn't super fond of the actual chips. I used to do the "Nordea" spots but they switched ad agencies a couple years back. One of my best sets, a huge snowy Alpine hillside was shot here in sunny SoCal but due to ad agency mess, the spot never finished post and all I got was a few pix with snow and a giant green screen where mountains were supposed to go. Oh well....

12. Baunkjaer thread starter macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Well, I don´t know when I´ll buy. But I´m confident I´ll be a MP-owner as soon as I´ve the cash, and convined my wife, it´l be hard for me to live without one:eek:
    I´m not a "fan" of KIM´s, but I like the commercials. Allways a good laugh.

13. Roman23 macrumors 6502

That even though you now have clovertown in your 1,1 mac pro or even 2,1 mac pro, the microcode for harpertown isn't there still.. it would require a new firmware update which Apple won't ever do, so you would need to buy the 3,1 mac pro in order to make use of harpertown..

I really like how apple gets away with all this BS.. Thats why I pray that Jobs would step down already and let someone else who is OPEN HARDWARE based take the reins of Apple.. Actually.. in terms of two divisions.. let the person who is open hardware run the macs dept, and jobs can run the itoys dept..

Jobs must enjoy screwing people with good hardware(3,1 and 4,1) and locking us out from upgrading to the next best thing.. for the 3,1 mac pro - x5492, for the 4,1 - westmere/gulftown.

Yep, its Apple's way of screwing people who buy their hardware.