cpu usage 100% always

robecq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Denmark
My powerbook has been getting extra hot recently so I check my activity monitor and discovered that finder was using up all available cpu, heat the machine like crazy. If I quit finder thru activity monitor, cpu usage drops to 10%. If I launch finder again, up goes the cpu usage to 100% again? why is this happening and can I stop it?
cheers

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
robecq said:
My powerbook has been getting extra hot recently so I check my activity monitor and discovered that finder was using up all available cpu, heat the machine like crazy. If I quit finder thru activity monitor, cpu usage drops to 10%. If I launch finder again, up goes the cpu usage to 100% again? why is this happening and can I stop it?
cheers
your not running any antivirus software, such as norton with auto-protect enabled are you? That can run in the background constantly scanning for viruses.

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
robecq said:
cheers

details on the machine?
which powerbook?
how much RAM
which system osx?

have you run 'disk utility' and checked the preference files? lately?

robecq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Denmark
sorry,

pb 12" 1.33 768meg ram 60gb hd os 10.3.9
running disk utilites now
Preference files? where is this
no antivirus

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
runplaysleeprun said:
your not running any antivirus software, such as norton with auto-protect enabled are you? That can run in the background constantly scanning for viruses.
yea it sounds like you have a process running in the background. More system info would be helpful, though...

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
this is weird, Id like to see how this problems is resolved.

id say it was Spotlight or some other background process, but its the Finder itself!?

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
robecq said:
sorry,

pb 12" 1.33 768meg ram 60gb hd os 10.3.9
running disk utilites now
Preference files? where is this
no antivirus
it's really hard to say without being right there looking at it. Why don't you try this:

re-start the machine, holding down simultaneously the Option key, the Apple key, and the letters "P" and "R"

keep holding down the keys until you hear the startup chime 4 times. After the fourth chime, release the keys and let the machine boot.

this will reset the PRAM, which might kill whatever process the Finder thinks it should be running.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
try two things:

1 restart your computer. this often (not always, but often) clears up any issues.
2 repair disk permissions (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility > Repair Disk Permissions)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
You could try your Login Items in User Accounts. Also third party software that are set to check for updates might be culprits. Also try reparing permissions using the restore disks disk utility....this way more things can be fixed as the OS partition wont be in use. Resetting PRAM/NVRAM or even PMU might help. If all else fails re-install the OS

robecq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Denmark
I've cleared the pram, no luck.
I've archived and reinstalled os x. still no luck
does this mean something else is causing finder to use all remaining cpu?
any suggustions on how to fix or what the problem might be??

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Are you using any Finder/GUI hacks?

Does this problem follow you if you log in as another user (create one if need be)?

robecq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Denmark
created another user, log on and presto problem solved! logged back on and problem is back. whats the next step?