Cpu Usage is High When Playing a Game?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by george45023, Jun 23, 2009.

1. george45023 macrumors newbie

I've had my unibody Macbook since October. Recently I installed a few game apps including Sims 3. The problem is that when I try to play a game, it shows that my CPU usage is around the 100 range, the temperature is around 150 degrees, and the fan is around an average of 4000 rpm. It gets annoying cause you can hear the fan making a loud noise, I'm not sure if its my laptop or some other problem but if anyone can help me out, i would really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Sounds normal. Games are processor intensive.

3. george45023 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can RAM be a factor? I have 2gb of RAM and when i try to play a game, it mostly uses all of it.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The amount of work that the processor does (and therefore the amount of heat it makes) is not dependant on the RAM. More RAM is where information is stored by programs when they are open.

But as always, if the fan is on, it's probably a sign that things are working hard. And games are usually the toughest things out there for computers to run.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This happens on pretty much every computer, but due to the smaller physical dimensions of the laptop form factor the heat problems are exacerbated at the fan noise is much more noticeable than in something like a tower.