CPU Usage off

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by BreakGuy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I've noticed this but am unsure as to whether it's completely normal, or if it's something I need to be concerned about. One application (retickr) is using around 100% CPU, more at times, yet at the bottom of the Activity Monitor the CPU usage is letting me know that <70% of my CPU is idle.

Screenshot attached for your viewing.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". That will reveal all that's running on your system in addition to the apps you launch. Also, your CPU utilization is a maximum of 100% per core. On a dual core system, it can go to 200%; on quad-core, 400%.

3. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Whenever a sole application runs near or above 100% my battery life plummets and my macbook gets very hot, very quick.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's to be expected, even with an app using 70% or more CPU. The more demand on system resources, the more drain on battery power and the higher the temps will be. (But I know you know that!)

5. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Seems strange that it would heat up like it does even though the CPU is running at less than half its potential 200%