CPU Usage off

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
I've noticed this but am unsure as to whether it's completely normal, or if it's something I need to be concerned about. One application (retickr) is using around 100% CPU, more at times, yet at the bottom of the Activity Monitor the CPU usage is letting me know that <70% of my CPU is idle.

Screenshot attached for your viewing.

Attachments

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've noticed this but am unsure as to whether it's completely normal, or if it's something I need to be concerned about. One application (retickr) is using around 100% CPU, more at times, yet at the bottom of the Activity Monitor the CPU usage is letting me know that <70% of my CPU is idle.

Screenshot attached for your viewing.
First, change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". That will reveal all that's running on your system in addition to the apps you launch. Also, your CPU utilization is a maximum of 100% per core. On a dual core system, it can go to 200%; on quad-core, 400%.

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
First, change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". That will reveal all that's running on your system in addition to the apps you launch. Also, your CPU utilization is a maximum of 100% per core. On a dual core system, it can go to 200%; on quad-core, 400%.
Whenever a sole application runs near or above 100% my battery life plummets and my macbook gets very hot, very quick.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Whenever a sole application runs near or above 100% my battery life plummets and my macbook gets very hot, very quick.
That's to be expected, even with an app using 70% or more CPU. The more demand on system resources, the more drain on battery power and the higher the temps will be. (But I know you know that!)

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
That's to be expected, even with an app using 70% or more CPU. The more demand on system resources, the more drain on battery power and the higher the temps will be. (But I know you know that!)
Seems strange that it would heat up like it does even though the CPU is running at less than half its potential 200%