CPU usage question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rueyloon, Apr 26, 2015.

1. rueyloon macrumors regular

Hello

just a question that I had in mind for a while.

Let's say, I have a 12 2.7ghz core computer, and while running a filter for FCPX I see it running all 12 cores at around 40-50% utilisation.

If I run this on a 6 cores 3.5ghz, will it still be around 40-50% ? or it will hit 100% ?

or the calculation is closet to
    12 X 2.7 X 0.5 = 16.2

16.2 = 6 X 3.5 X (x)

where x = 77% utilisation ?

rgs
    rueyloon

2. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Assuming both setups are using same GPU of course, but I would think a custom, non-Apple higher GHz 8-core would be best trade off.

I doubt it would be linear, and the number of tasks running that trying to base it on 16GHz for instance represents actual load.

A comparison of Geekbench scores will show potential ability of workloads in multi-core benchmark. Not real world.

Did Barefeats break down FCPX by nMP configurations of 4- 6- 8- and 12-core configurations, and using Xenon options beyond Apple BTO?

When the nMP came out, or even before, someone showed how the core MHz vary be the number of cores being engaged making interpretation harder, where turbo-boost is not even across all cores.

And all of this is new feature of current crop of Xeons.

I assume you want to buy conservatively and not give up performance so that a project takes too long. The total watts/heat under both systems might also show how efficient they are.