CPU usage very high just using safari/firefox

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JLB2009, Mar 6, 2009.

1. JLB2009 macrumors newbie

I have searched many forums and talked to fellow macbook owners, some have the same problem - some not.
    The HD crashed about 2 years ago, and since the replacement (TOSHIBA MK6034GSX 60GB) the CPU will go very hot 80+C and the fan going to 6200rpm if visiting some internet pages. Normally a problem if (when) the kids are playing free online games or visiting youtube or similar. Made a screenshot, notice CPU usage around 112%, smartfan showing 70C and 6200rpm. I have taken the mac physically apart and cleaned the cooling duct and applyed new thermal paste. Didn't help. It drives me crazy, I hate noisy computers, any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

flash is known to such on osx,, did you try the flash 10 beta yet? it MIGHT help.

3. dmiller macrumors member

my fans go nuts on internet video...also one day i had navigated away from the video page but left safari open and the fans continued to run...i quit safari and the computer calmed down

4. JLB2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

Have tried to install flash 10, didn't do any diference, but I think you are right though, it's a phenomenom connected to flashplayer. Wish there was something to do about it.

5. California macrumors 68040

California

That Toshiba is actually getting kind of old technologically now, though I think you might have one with the 16mb cache.

Newer hard drives run cooler. A cheap and possibly helpful upgrade would be to get a 320gb 7200 rpm Seagate, try to get the 7200.4 version.

Is your ram maxed, too? Faster hard drives/max ram does help with Safari.

6. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

7. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

methinks you are using an english brain eh? dis looks danishska to me!

8. Old Mac Geezer macrumors member

I used to have a problem where Safari used to spin my hard drive and show the beach ball of doom on screen all the time. It doesn't do it nearly as much in Safari 4 beta. Maybe updating your software will help?

9. JLB2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

:D yeah, the slut process is a danish thing...
    RAM is maxed out at 2G, I could try Safari 4, but I am running Firefox 3 now and it works beatiful, albeit with the Pratt and Whitney JT8D jet fan noise....
    Shifting to a new harddrive actually sounds like a good sugestion, as far as I recall, the problem started after I had a new installed following a HD crash a couple of years ago.

10. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

Wait to you try Safari 4 beta.
    Mine sounds like it is getting ready to fly away when using the new features of Safari 4.

11. JLB2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, it's definately a problem connected to flashplayer. Installed flash 10 and now firefox is starting to act real slow and problem with the CPU usage still present. If anyone has seen any useful threads about this please let me know.
    Some googling has shown, it's a fairly common problem.