CPU Usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prohybe, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Prohybe macrumors member

When i'm playing a game on miniclip, my computer makes loud noises sometimes. I checked activity monitor and this is how it was. Take a look at FlashPlayer CPU %. Is this normal??

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

Adobe Flash Player, used to display and interact with the game you play, is CPU intensive, thus more power is needed to feed the CPU, which results in higher temperatures and often higher fan speed(s) on mobile computers. As more power is used due to Flash, the battery life of mobile computers is shortened by a good bit.
    To check, if Adobe Flash Player is responsible for less battery time or the heat, go to Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor and select to show ALL PROCESSES and sort by CPU.

There are a variety of Flash blockers for all the four major browsers available.
    A Flash blocker does what it says, it blocks Flash content, but via a click on the marked Flash object, the Flash object can be activated and used.

• Safari: ClickToFlash, for which there is an extension and a plug-in; CTF allows you to download YouTube and other kinds of MPEG-4 encoded video too.
    • Opera: has a built-in Flash blocker
    • Firefox: Flashblock is an add-on to block Flash
    • Chrome: FlashBlock is an extension to block Flash

Also make sure to have the latest Adobe Flash Player version running, you can get it here.​

3. Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

It is the latest version. When watching something on youtube the % goes to 6/7, which i find normal. But 12X/13X % on miniclip is super high and i don't know how to lower it.

4. simsaladimbamba

Games are more intensive than a "simple" YouTube video, thus the more CPU usage. And the CPU is there to be used. No need to worry.

And the following is undecipherable by me:
    It is easier to comprehend CPU usage if you use the CPU usage percentage reported by Activity Monitor, in your case/screenshot "125%". Using fractions or variables with fractions seems a bit too complicated.

5. Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

What i meant was that when I'm watching something on youtube, Flash Player CPU usage is more or less 6% and when i'm playing a game flash player CPU usage is 120% or more. And i was worried about that being WAY to high.

6. simsaladimbamba

It can't be too high. You have a CPU, and the game needs a lot of CPU power, thus it uses it. You still have 270% free CPU.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

What do you mean by it being "too high"...too high for what? Your CPU is meant to be used, and unless your CPU is being taxed to the limit (which it isn't), I don't see what the problem is.