CPU versus GPU

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by C2x954, Sep 13, 2009.

1. C2x954 macrumors newbie

C2x954

I am giving myself a $2,000 max budget to purchase a new 24" iMac. I can't decide whether to upgrade the processor from 2.93GHz to 3.06GHz OR upgrade the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 to a GT 130. Which of the two would make a bigger difference? Or should I just not try to be such a cheap ass and get the top of the line model??

Thanks!

2. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Unfortunately the answer to that question is, it depends what you do with it. If you use a lot of graphic intensive programs, such as 3D modelling, and games, you would be better of with a better graphics card, If you have a lot of processor intensive programs such as photoshop. A better CPU would be advisable.
    However this advise my be hopelessly out of date soon when developers start writing with the advances of Snow Leopard in mind.

3. Mic360 macrumors newbie

Im in the same boat cant decide on the 2.93 with the ati or the 3.06 and the ati card. I have been sitting on this decision for about a week and a half. I have been reading this forum for help and I actually think its making things worse. I am now thinking of building a new pc for around 500 and waiting till the new imacs comeout. Only because I would hate to spend 2000 on something and something newer and fresh will come out really soon. sorry for the rambling, get the 2.93 and just upgrade to the ati card and you should have a decent setup.

4. C2x954 thread starter macrumors newbie

C2x954

This is my biggest hang up, it depends on just how soon an update would come out, but i can't wait 'till january - march. I've had it with my PC.

5. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Photoshop CS4 as well as Aperture utilizes the GPU for additional acceleration. So does indeed depend on what kind of apps the OP is planning to use as you pointed out.