CPU vs. Heatsink Difference? 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kemel, Apr 7, 2011.

1. kemel macrumors newbie

Hello! So I just picked up my 2011 13" Macbook Pro i7 from Best Buy a few days ago... And I noticed that while running WoW or using 4x "yes > /dev/null" command there is quite a bit of difference between my CPU and heatsink temps. Here is the results afte about 15 minutes:

iStat Pro Temps

Idle
    HD: 23c
    CPU: 42c
    Enclosure Base: 26c
    Enclosure Base 2: 26c
    Enclosure Base 3: 26c
    Heatsink B: 34c
    Mem Bank A1: 33c
    Fans @ 2006rpm

"yes > /dev/null" command after 15min
    HD: 23c
    CPU: 91c
    Enclosure Base: 27c
    Enclosure Base 2: 27c
    Enclosure Base 3: 26c
    Heatsink B: 45c
    Mem Bank A1: 38c
    Fans @ 6204rpm

When under stress it seems like a large gap in CPU vs heatsink temp (46c)? Is something not right here? I am still in the window of time to swap it out for another one. :confused:

Also the battery cycles are already at 3 and health is at 97%... I've barely been using it in the past couple days. I did calibrate the battery once so far.

Any advice would be appreciated as this is my first MacBook.

Thanks!

2. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

That's because of bad TIM (thermal interface material) application.

3. kemel thread starter macrumors newbie

So... Being that it's only a few days old should I try and swap it out for another one or are those temps decent?? The CPU getting over double the temp of the Heatsink just seems quite high. I've read the around 20c would be acceptable, but 45c+?

4. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Well personally i don't see any need, if its within the 14 days sure if you don't like it get another one, you can do this to your hearts desire. If your trying to do it on warranty it's not worth a argument, all your temperatures are in the safe zones.

5. daneoni, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

'Heatsink B' is for the GPU. 'CPU Heatsink' is for the...CPU. And that usually only has a lesser than or equal to 10C difference with the CPU.

6. kemel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick response! If the temps seem fine then I have no problem keeping it, but I just wasn't sure if something was "off" or not right with the temp difference the way it is. I just wanted to make sure everything is okay before I install my 8gb I ordered (I'd rather not have to take it out and switch it out once it's put in).

7. kemel thread starter macrumors newbie

I see! Is there a way to check the "CPU Heatsink" temp? I didn't see it listed in the iStat Pro widget.

8. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

If you were getting those temps under light work then definitely replace it, however if your getting that under very heavy load then i don't really see a problem, i mean for starters if there isn't actually a problem what are you going to say? My computers temperatures are drastically different in different parts of the computer? I just can't see them replacing it unless it's in the 14 days anyway

9. daneoni, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You should have it. I'm running iStat Pro 4.92 and here is my list right now

Edit: I just realized you're running a 13" model which has a single heatsink spanning the CPU/iGPU & Chipset Controller. So readings will be different.

Also does your temp stay at 91C or does it go down once the fans kick in? 91C is still fairly normal. There's also the fact that the 13" model has only a single fan and the HD 3000 is integrated into the CPU so...

Overall i'd say normal but as someone else pointed out above you might have too much thermal paste on your CPU.

Attached Files:

10. kemel thread starter macrumors newbie

So, since it's the 13" is there not a way to check that and do the temps seem fine? Thanks again!

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I've updated my earlier post. ^

12. kemel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the update! When it's under load it stays 89-91c+ when running the command. In a game like World of Warcraft which I used to test it, it stay around 80-94c typically depending on what is going on. When under load the fans were at max running 6204rpm and it stayed at 91c... :confused:

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Those seem fairly normal but i'd compare temps with other 13" owners in this thread