CPU Whine...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maximus06, Nov 20, 2007.

1. maximus06 macrumors regular

Just got my SR Macbook, and it has the CPU Whine. This is really annoying because I returned my previous Dell XPS M1330 and its replacement due to this and a few other issues.

I already installed 'shhmbp' and it seems to dampen the whine a bit, but its def. still there. Someone talked about a photobooth fix? When I run photobooth the whine disappears, but its back when I close it, so what is meant by this?

Thanks.

2. maximus06 thread starter macrumors regular

noone else has this whine/buzz? I don't believe this.

3. Draddy macrumors regular

i installed "quite MBP" and it got rid of mine.

4. vanc macrumors 6502

Just received my SR MacBook today. No whining. So far so good.

5. maximus06 thread starter macrumors regular

Try it in a very quite room. I didnt notice it at first when I unpacked/ran it, but when I moved to my room it was there.

I tried ShhMBP - it does NOT work.
    I tried MagicNoiseKiller - it does NOT work.
    I tried QuiteMBP - the noise is pretty much completely gone when you move the slider all the way to the left, however it uses 38% CPU power, and results in the CPU heating up by at least +40 Farenheit and the fans come on permanently. Not really a solution.

6. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

are you sure it's the CPU?

IIRC only the 1st gen's had this problem. Maybe you are hearing the HDD spinning? (maybe a 7200rpm?) It can't be the backlight, as there is no inverter... Maybe RF noise? Does the noise exist outside? (maybe try it in the car at night... that's normally a pretty quiet place, and no RF)

7. vanc macrumors 6502

I have tried in my bed room last night and it's very quite. Of course, I did not do any CPU intensive work. Just web browsing and watching some youtube videos.

8. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Me too, works very well.

9. maximus06 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it does, but the fans will be on continously due to the higher temperature. Id rather disable one of the CPU's, but that comes down to personal preference.

10. zilu01 macrumors newbie

If you just got it, I would try to get a replacement. My SR macbook has no whining noise of such therefore it could possibly be a defect.

11. vanc macrumors 6502

It's being discussed from a couple of threads. Maybe the whining is just the sound of the fan. For some people, even the slight noise sounds big because they have a much better hearing. I could hear that light noise when I put my ear on the keyboard.

12. zilu01 macrumors newbie

That is what i suspected. Youtube has some video's of really unusual and annoying noises from CPU/Fan. I believe anything other than that is normal.

13. reifiedbeans macrumors newbie

Mine was doing this one day. After leaving the MBP for a few hours and coming back to it, it was REALLY REALLY REALLY hot (yeah, they run hot, but you could've fried an egg on the MBP), but the fans weren't running at high speed. There was a high-pitched whine--very annoying and it hadn't been there before. It had gotten really really hot a few days before, too, when I tried to wake it up.

I installed smcFanControl, turned up the minimum fan speed to about 3000 rpm when on AC, and I haven't had a problem since--with the whine or with the scalding hot MBP.

For my MBP, the whine was definitely heat-related.

http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/

14. Gordy macrumors 6502a

My fans come on very very rarely. Using quietmbp has not changed it one bit.