CPUs for PM '04 vs PM '05

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mark8, Mar 30, 2017.

1. mark8 macrumors member

mark8

Question: Did apple change the mounting pin sizes on G5's between the year '04 & '05?
    The reason I ask is I bought another set of Dual 2.0 cpu's with heatsinks '05(ebay seller, said they were from an early '05) that have smaller mounting holes where they slide/lock into the Logic Board. All the boards I have, have the larger pin. I will have to drill them out, if I keep them. Just thought the early '05 would be the same set-up as the '04's. If they are from late'05 then he has some splaining to do
    thx for any insight

2. Xandros macrumors regular

What's the CPU's serial number?

On first inspect of everymac I would have assumed that the 2004 and 2005 model DP 2.0 would have been interchangeable since they were apparently identical and used the PowerPC 970fx, where as the older 2003 model DP 2.0 used the slightly more power hungry and heat intensive PowerPC 970. Having said that, the last DP 2.0 was a PCI Mac as opposed to the previous two which were both PCI-X. Perhaps the logic boards are actually different enough on the latter model to have different sized mounting holes for the CPU card?

I dunno. Not much help for you I'm afraid with me merely guessing. I suppose a more scientific approach would be for you to look at the serial number on the CPU, they have an "EEE" code in the number that identifies what Mac it's compatible with. If you find that EEE code, then go to http://www.welovemacs.com/g5serviceparts.html and pick one of the G5 DP 2.0 models and click on the CPU parts, have a look at their parts for that Mac and look at the description for them to see if they match.

For example on the first model DP 2.0 CPU page they have a "PowerMac G5 2GHz Dual V2 Configuration Processor" and lists the EEE Codes for that model as "P11, Q7A, Q7B, Q7C, Q9C, Q9D, Q9E, QA3, QJJ, QJK, QJL, QJM, QX5, QX6, QX7, QX8, QX9, QZZ, R00, R01, R02, R03"

So if you processor you bought had one of those EEE codes it's for the first model G5 released in 2003. Rince and repeat for the 2004 and 2005 models and you *should* figure out which model your processor is for and if the eBay seller needs a kick up the bum or not.

3. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Depending on the price and how much it'd cost to send them back, I'd ask for a refund as incorrect hardware components could lead to the most obscure of problems..

4. mark8 thread starter macrumors member

mark8

thx guys
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2017 ---
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2017 ---
    Xandros this is the second set of 2.0 cpus without the "EEE" code. there are two other numbers though. 820-1498-A on the inside top. and 630-4880 on the white sticker on back. the cpu is larger than what i have seen

5. Xandros macrumors regular

Oh. The code is part of the serial number that's on a sticker attached to the board somewhere (in the format of XXXXXXXXEEEX) but, I suppose sometimes the stickers fall off (or get removed for no good reason). But anyway part numbers are a perhaps less precise method to find out what it's for. Couldn't fathom much from the first part number but 630-4880 seems to be a Dual 2.0GHz V1 CPU, I've found that CPU with that part number on thebookyard.co.uk with a EEE codes of Q9E and QA3, so the logical conclusion is that according to welovemacs (in fact based on that first set of EEE code examples I posted), your CPU is from the 2003 DP 2.0GHz PowerMac G5, not an early 2005 model as your eBay seller claimed.

6. mark8, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

mark8 thread starter macrumors member

mark8

thx thats what I gathered too.
    well after taking them apart ,they are from a 2003