CPU's in rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twdi, Feb 20, 2013.

1. twdi macrumors member

I've found the CPU details of the new 13/15 inch rMBP in this forum and checked them on cpubenchmark.net

According the info 15~ rMBP:
    2.4 = i7-3635QM => average CPU mark = 5424
    2.7 = i7-3740QM => average CPU mark = 8473

Additinal cost: 99 euro

13~ rBMP:
    2.6 = i5-3230M => average CPU mark = 4013
    3.0 = i7-3540M => average CPU mark = 5060

Additinal cost: 200

Would such an upgrade be worth the money? Is doesn't seem to be that expensive although the performance gain for the 15inch is more interesting...

Am I right?

2. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

As always, depends on what you use it for. On my old i7 (paid for upgrade) I never used 100% of the CPU power. This time I didn't upgrade and got the standard 2.5 i5 and I've not noticed any slow down or performance issues within my usage.

3. twdi thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that's a bit of my concern so you are right.
    I really don't have a feeling how a rMBP performance in daily usage for me.

I've can try them in a large shop in my town, no problem. I've clicked arround the machine, started standard apps like iPhoto, IMovie, tested an export of a movie which is probable one of the demo movies.

That all worked fine but would the be representative for what I'm going to use it for....

On my current old and dying Dell windows machine, I mainly use it for browsing, chatting word processing because it's not fast enough to run Lightroom 4, Adobe Premiere/Photoshop elements 11. But.. on my new to buy rMBP, I want it to be fast enough for those apps... (not professional usage)

So.... what to do... (save money and) buy a 13~ 2.5, 256Gb ssd, 8Gb rMBP? Or go for the basic 15 inch?

4. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I think you'll be fine with the 13" top spec in all honesty. The only 'upgrade' an i7 gives you is hyper threading and slightly quicker clock speeds, which in reality you probably won't notice.

Ultimately, it's down to your preference but after having 13" machines for 3 years, every other laptop seems enormous. If I was a power user I'd trump for the 15 just for the dedicated GPU, but you still get 768MB of usable vRAM with the HD4000 anyway.

5. simsaladimbamba

The mobile i5s support HyperThreading quite well, it is only the desktop i5s not supporting HT.

6. robvas macrumors 68020

The i5's have hyperthreading.

7. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Well suck a lemon, I didn't realise this was the case :)

I stand corrected.