CR not giving rMBPs top rating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mdlooker, Nov 13, 2014.

1. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I was looking around Consumer Reports and saw that the rMBPs and pulling 5th, 6th, and 7th place. I just got my 13" rMBP and love it. I've always thought MBPs were the top. Added, higher ranked laptops are noted with high costs as I originally thought it was about a bargain buy. I wonder why they're scoring so low with CR.

The rankings are reading from left to right..

Attached Files:

2. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I'm shocked there aren't any comments on that. I thought some of the Mac smart folks would break down why that would show up in such a way. Hmm

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Honestly, I will never trust CR again. A few years ago Samsung was near the top of their list for all appliances. I bought a Samsung washer and dryer that same year. 3 years later, the washer has already had 3 repairs having to do with the rotation of the tub and the dryer isn't drying all the time.

From now I'm going to go by actual reviews from people online. Sure, some might have been purchased by companies, but at least there are some honest ones other there.

Just my 2 cents.

4. blooperz macrumors 6502

the same reason you won't find Mercedes on most best buy lists...while they are great to drive they simply represent poor value for the money spent compared to other brands. Mac's are great machines, but you're generally overpaying for the technology you're getting. Sure you get a good looking machine that is well made...but that's only one factor. I don't follow CR so I'm not familiar with their ranking criteria

5. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I've always known for CR to give their recommended "best value" but when they gave the samsung ATIV high marks and said you'll have to pay handsomely for it, I instantly thought of the MBPs. They're also very good and will definitely have to pay handsomely for it.

I also agree that word of mouth is best as I've always used that for credit/charge cards.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Well, I dunno about that. I have the Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus in that list and from a quality standpoint it's an absolutely gorgeous machine. Almost a year old now and absolutely zero issues. Albeit Windows 8, it's essentially the power of a MBP with better resolution than Retina and the form factor of a MBA. Bought from Microsoft store so it even had a no bloatware install.

7. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

That's really good to know as competition and other stable products keeps the market healthy.

I have a Toshiba CPU that I bought I think in 2007 or 8 and it keeps having fatal errors regularly now. I went to download updates for it and microsoft is giving a notice that it is no longer supporting windows 7. I went and got this mid 2014 13" rMBP and love it as well. It's my first Mac so maybe i'm in my amazement phase. My Toshiba lasted me years without any major issues. I did have to have it overhauled to speed it back up a couple of times and the display driver kept failing so the display would shut of then right back on and that problem was basically happening near the beginning. But overall I think it is/was a very strong machine that served it's purpose of regular use.

8. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Consumer Reports

My 2¢ - CR is just one opinion. PC Mag and PC World all rate the MBA/MBP as the top choices over any other WinDoze laptop. Go figure.

9. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

I don't necessarily like Consumer Reports for a lot of things, especially laptops but that tends to be because I'm an enthusiast and prosumer, not so much of a standard consumer looking to just browse facebook and listen to music. But that's just it, they have a target audience and they cater to it.

If CR did share my opinion the top 5 laptops would all be MacBooks or high end ThinkPads and the Fiat 500 Abarth would be the number 1 car. :cool:

10. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

The only way Iʻd be excited over receiving those Windows laptops is if I won one during a giveaway. Iʻd then sell it.

11. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

CR has been rigged for decades. They give scores out to the highest bidder

12. leman macrumors G3

Never heard about Consumer Reports and don't care much, but here is a thought. There must be an explanation somewhere on how their overall score is computed and what the individual scores are that flow into it. I guess that one of the scores is 'repairability or user-upgradeability' and MacBooks will obviously perform abysmally on that one.

13. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I mostly agree with those ratings once price is considered.

14. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

Any machine that allows users to upgrade the ram and storage should automatically have a leg up in these rankings.

Non user serviceable computers are anti-consumer. To offset the lack of upgradeability, the manufacturer needs to overcompensate in other areas.

15. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I added a little more detail; not sure if this makes any difference though..

The first comparison put the 11" MBA first..

Attached Files: