Craaacking sound when the MacBook Pro lid is closed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deanshu, Oct 9, 2009.

1. deanshu macrumors member

I noticed this starting about two weeks ago (I purchased this computer, MBP 13", at the end of June).

For some reason, if the laptop was open for a couple of minutes, once I try closing the lid, I get this semi-loud cracking/creaking/snapping sound. It sounds like it's near the hinge. If the computer is closed/open multiple times in succession it only makes the sound the first time; evidence would suggest that the hinge needs to be "exercised" before it's creak free. If you guys want, I could try posting a video.

A cursory search on Google revealed that other users had experienced similar problems.

I'm wondering how I could get this resolved (either myself, without voiding the warranty, or contacting AppleCare). Based on the experiences of other people, Apple considered this obvious defect to be "within spec". Would I have any luck getting it fixed?

Do any other users have a similar problem?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

The most you can do is try, and the only people who can tell you for sure is Apple.

Locate your nearest Apple Store or call AppleCare in U.S. at 1(800) 275-2273.

3. deanshu thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not too comfortable with the local Apple Store. I have brought in two different computers at separate times and left fairly unhappy with their ultimate decisions (they refused to service them).

4. peto01 macrumors member

i have same experience as you. i have noticed that it happened only when the temperature is high and i close the display. let us know what apple care told you about the fixing.

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I have the EXACT same problem! It's been going for 4 months now, and still doing it :l. Can't be bothered to send it into Apple for a replacement, as I can't be without my computer for 2 weeks :l, and my nearest apple store is 60miles away!

6. jdm111 macrumors regular

7. Albal macrumors member

My late 08 15" was doing it too.

I figured it was totally unacceptable so I contacted Apple and made a genius appointment at the West Quay Store Southampton.

The Genius agreed to replace it.

It took 5 days, but they replaced one problem for another. My original screen did not have any dead or stuck pixels. The new one did.

Another phone call to Apple. Another appointment.

I explained again that I am not settling for a defective panel and wanted one that is perfect, like the one I handed to them a few weeks perviously. They agreed and replaced for the second time.

So far so good. No hinge noise, no stuck pixels. The screen doesn't quite line up on the sides with the bottom of the computer when it is closed, but I am only talking a fraction of a MM and would not have noticed if I wasn't paro about marks and stuff.

Apparently the screen hinge creaking and cracking is a result of the computer being over-opened. The Genius was reluctant to show me a computer that had not been over-opened so I assume that it is not the case and he was trying to transfer the blame to me.

Be nice, be polite, be calm but be firm. If you want a service you feel you deserve then go and get it. You payed a lot of money for this computer, and they have a one year manufacturers warranty. A creaking and cracking hinge is not acceptable, neither are any defects on a £2000 computer!