crack in iphone 5 back (glass part)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SgtPepper12, Sep 30, 2012.

1. SgtPepper12 macrumors 6502a

SgtPepper12

So today I noticed there is a small crack at the back of my iPhone 5. It's pretty subtle, but now that I've seen it, it's hard to unsee. It happened between the camera lens and the rim. You can feel it's a crack and not a scratch.
    Note that I never dropped the phone or anything similar to that (there are no signs of any kind of impact in the area either). I would show you some photos, but unfortunately there's no cam available.
    What can I do about it? What are my chances in an Apple store?

2. artillery75 macrumors newbie

I have found the same flaw with my black iphone 5 (just bought it yesterday). very small crack just below the camera lens in the black glass. its only like 1 or 2mm and barely noticeable however i know its there and it bothers me. I am considering taking the phone back. I purchased my phone as a early upgrade (64gig). Wasnt cheap by any means and i believe it should be flawless and absolutly perfect in my opinion.

3. gk911 macrumors newbie

iphone 5 rear glass crack

Hi. I noticed the same thing. I noted it when I got it out of the box at the end of September. It is a small line that ran from the rear mic to the flash. It was short and straight and had no sign of impact. Thus, I thought it was by intent of design to allow for some functional communication between the two items...heck, I ain't no electrical engineer...

Anyway, this week, I noticed that this crack has now run around the outside edge of the flash and extends 3 mm from the flash along the back.

I have cared well for my phone and have not subjected it to trauma.

Have you (earlier posters) taken the phone to the apple store for this? (it sounds like the same concern). I went to the VZN store where I bought it and they referred me to the apple store. What was your experience or their response?

It's not causing functional impairment of the phone, but it's concerning to me for the long term reliability of the device.

Thanks.

4. FixBrokeni macrumors member

FixBrokeni

A drop could make the crack larger, so I'd definitely get it checked out by Apple and hear what they can do for you. If it's not covered, you can easily replace it with an OEM back glass. I totally understand where you're coming from though - a flaw shouldn't be found on a new device, especially one so noticeable. I'd be surprised if Apple didn't provide you with a new iPhone, or replace the back for you.