Crack in Macbook unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stjanis, Nov 4, 2010.

1. stjanis macrumors newbie

Hi,

Maybe someone can give me an advice what to do? About half a year ago I finally switched to Mac. Overall experience is really good and I don't think that at least in near future will be going back to use windows, especially considering that I'm a design student.

However there is also a downside in my user experience. Few weeks ago I noticed that in my Mac's body (Macbook white unibody) has appeared a crack (Near the place where power cable is plugged in). I have always carried around my computer in protective case, never dropped it down or dropped something on it. So logically I assumed that crack can't be my fault and brought it to warranty service. After few days I received notice that technician has estimated that crack can't be manufacturers fault and I'm responsible. Here is what I received in conclusion:
    "A plastic as thick as that, normally can't crack by itself / or by normal use. It may have have occurred when the computer has gotten some weight pushed to it's side."

And that's it! Some customer consultant just added that probably I have put my bag to "harsh" on ground.

To be honest, it doesn't sound as a competent expert's conclusion. I also know that by normal use computer shouldn't have any cracks. But it did! And I know for sure, that it hasn't experienced any bumps or whatsoever.. Couldn't it be a hidden manufacture/transportation defect, design flaw and so on? The most painful part is that I needed to pay about 100$ for this "expertise" as I'm not living at my home country.

The question is, has anyone had similar experience and have you tried to complain at Apple customer relations service? I would like to send them an email with photos and experts conclusion to find out if it really meets apple standarts for customer relations. So maybe someone knows to which email can I send my complain?

Computer is used less than a half year, warranty is still valid. I'm still at the European Union country (Denmark) and kinda expected more interest from apple representatives.

Thanks in advance,
    Janis

2. EggrollShop, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010

EggrollShop macrumors member

I mean if it's a crack from where the charger plugs in it may seem like pressure was applied to the point of it cracking. Or in this case a "harsh" placement on the ground. I'm not siding with the so called expert but you have to see it from a business stand point as well. Most manufactures will put the blame on the consumer first than the product especially in a situation where there is some sort of physical damage to the unit. I would advise to call apple 1-800-APL-CARE and see if they can do anything for you. As for emailing I'm not too sure what it may be, just try the number and best of luck.