Crack in plastic around charging point.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jamiepacke, May 21, 2013.

1. jamiepacke macrumors newbie

HELP!

A few weeks ago i noticed a hairline crack in my 'mid 2010' Unibody MacBook around the charging point.

This lead to a small piece of the plastic coming off about a week ago.

Last night i tried to charge my Mac and a small spark lead to it not wanting to charge anymore.

I promptly made an appointment at my local genius bar (luckily only a 15 min bus ride away) and they said that even though i had apple care (valid until 20 jan 2014) the repairs to the unibody case would not be covered by my warranty as i caused the damage myself.

I assured the woman that i had not caused the damage and it started off as a hairline crack which then lead to the small piece of plastic falling off.

Has anyone else come across this problem with their MacBook? They only charged me £60 so i guess it could have been worse but i just feel a bit conned as i genuinely, honestly am not at fault here. The 'Genius' at the bar spoke to her colleagues and managers all of whom insisted they had never seen this issue before but it happened so easily im certain others must have encountered this problem.

Sorry i've not got any pictures as i left it with the apple store to be repaired but it was the small piece of plastic above the charging point and inbetween the charger and next input along from the charger. My reckoning is that it is caused my the rocking back and forth of the charging piece when its attached to the MacBook itself.

Thanks Guys! Any help would be appreciated!

Jamie. :)

2. 7itanium macrumors member

I have seen many of these units in my time and never that problem

but that doesnt mean it wasnt damaged in shipping or something and nobody ever noticed it

3. slomo86 macrumors member

slomo86

Yep I have a similar problem. I had posted about this a while ago and found a few others with this issue. Take a look at my pictures... are you seeing any of these cracks on yours?

Attached Files:

4. Mikey323 macrumors newbie

I have the Same exact cracks on my unibody as well. My first one had the top crack a little more then the picture and my 2nd one has ALL the exact amountS of cracks as the ones in the picture. Looks like this should be another manufacture defect just like the 2006-2009 non-unibody MacBooks with the chipping of the plastic...I thought they had fixed this issue but apparently not as now we are experiencing cracks on our white unibodys.

5. pfu macrumors newbie

I have the same crack on the lid part. haven't found any cracks on the charger though. Is this because of heat? i currently removed my 500GB hd and replaced it with a 250GB SSD. it's way cooler now than it was with my conventional drive in it. to fix that crack on the top lid I just slap a sticker on it. :)

6. Ifti macrumors 68000

We have around 15 of these at work. At least 10 of them have hairline cracks like this.
    That can't be coincidence!

7. pfu macrumors newbie

i agree, and it's odd because I'm a bit OCD with my Mac then all of a sudden it shows up a crack like that. maybe it's the heat dissipation? :confused:

8. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I have cracks on the back of mine and a crack on my ethernet port. Luckily I don't use it.