Crack in screen of new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cakie174, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Cakie174, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

Cakie174 macrumors newbie

Hi I bought myself a new iMac at Christmas. After the holidays I noticed what at first I thought was an eye lash on the bevel or a very fine scratch. It didn't really bother me as it was very minor. Today after a very hot day I notice that the scratch has developed into a 10" crack. I spoke to the retailer and was told that as I didn't report it within 24hrs of purchase they wouldn't help.

Has anyone heard of this happending on other iMac?

Can it be fixed and at what cost?

Do I have any consumer rights after 6 months?

Thanks in lieu.

Cakie

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Firstly, you have a one year warranty from Apple regardless of where you bought your Mac...Contact them and they will arrange a repair / swap out.

3. in4fun macrumors regular

Macman is completely right but.......

Ohh, are retailers making up their own laws now? Maybe if you're living in Nicaragua he's right otherwise give your retailer a call and shout: 24 hours - hahahahahahahah !!!!!!
    After he hangs up, call again and repeat the process for several days.

That's the least you can do for such an ****** retailer.

4. Cakie174 thread starter macrumors newbie

The retailer is Currys/Dixons and are a pretty big player but not sure the girl I spoke to knew the most.

They questioned "how can I prove the scratch/crack was there since purchase and the machine was not dropped/hit etc.." They must be confused with an iPhone :)

5. 808?, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

808? macrumors 6502a

Did you take photos of the crack when you first noticed it at Xmas and every month to show its progress to 10"?

And why did you not return it 6 months ago when you first noticed the crack?

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

After a week or so I wouldn't be bothering to call the retailer - go direct to Apple. The retailer isn't going to help you after more than a month anyway.

7. Cakie174 thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest I thought if it was a scratch and it only about 10mm long in the corner and not noticeable. It went from 10mm to 10 inches during a very hot day when we were all out of the house.

Photos would not have shown it i don't think.

I could of lived with a minor scratch. Do you think Apple accept this as a defect?

8. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Hi Cakie - not sure 'where' you purchased the iMac and whether it was indeed 'new' or refurbished; BUT, a new iMac comes w/ a 1-year limited warranty, and 3 years if you purchased Apple Care - if your retailer is unwilling to help, then you need to take the machine into a legitimate Apple store and/or give Apple a call. Good luck and let us know your results (plus, you might want to provide the name of your retail dealer - sounds like one to avoid?) - :)

9. WilliamG macrumors 604

I doubt it. Unfortunately you're in a rather uncomfortable position at this point. Not to say I don't believe you, but it's going to be tricky to prove your case.

10. Arfdog, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013

Arfdog macrumors 6502

You don't have to prove anything. Just tell Apple the truth.

But first, you should call them up and tell them eat the stuff that comes out their backside.

Next, take it to Apple and utilize your Applecare. They will fix it for free.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Why the double post?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1612161
    Make a Genius Bar appointment and take it to Apple.

12. maiden666 macrumors newbie

Wow,really worried now,I got a late 2012 21 inch mac in Feb of this year and recently I have noticed a hair line mark/scratch in the top right hand corner of my mac.It's about 3 mm long just where the screen curves round.
    I didn't know how it got there has I only ever touch the screen say once a week and give it a wipe with a brand new micro fibre cloth to get rid of dust.

Please let us know what apple say about the problem.

Ian

13. Cakie174 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. maiden666 macrumors newbie

Just had a closer look at my mac, it looks like a slight 3mm or so very fine scratch on the coating in the top right hand corner,no idea if it was there when i bought it,or if i have managed to do it somehow.
    Anyhow i'm trying to ignore him,its no big deal,does'nt spoil ought.
    But i will see if it does get any bigger in future.

Ian

15. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You should take a photo of it now and document that date....if it grows into a 10" crack like the OP's you can show what it started from.