Crack on case of Whitebook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Niallo, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Niallo macrumors newbie

Ok basically, I've just noticed I have the infamous crack on the bottom case of my white macbook. Now i've been reading up in random places, and apparently they replace it for you. (I bought my macbook in march 07).

http://blueeyedcreature.net/apple/CrackBook_close_up.jpg

So I was wondering if I go to the apple store soon (next monthish) that they'll replace it with another whitebook. But me being my greedy little self, believe that if I play the waiting game, they'll have to give me a glassbook because I have 2.4Ghz, 160gb 2gb. Surely they can't give me an inferior machine.

Oh and P.S. Would I have to back-up my data? I.e. They just give me a fresh macbook.

:)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They may replace it with a new one, but the chances are better that they will just replace the case.

And, yes, you should always backup before taking your MB in for service.

3. Your5335 macrumors member

Uh they won't give you a brand new computer, they will replace the case for you. And if they do give you a new computer they will give you the older generation MacBook not the new Aluminum MacBook. Like my brothers iPhone first gen had a default now showing up and we were thinking that they would give him the new iPhone 3G but they had a lot of the first gen phones. So no they will not give you a new computer for a crack instead they will replace the case for free since it is a know defect.

4. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

I agree that they won't just give you a brand new computer...but they certainly won't give you anything "less" than what you've currently got. So if they have exhausted their replacement "whitebook" supply, then you may get lucky, but something tells me they'll have those covered for quite a while.

5. AreYouAMac macrumors regular

Hi,

Just curious to why would they give you a upgraded model macbook? (ie. either the 2.4 macbook or the aluminum macbook) Wouldn't they just replace the palm rest for you?

Since you bought it in March 07, I am figuring you have Apple Care?

My bottom palm rest has just also cracked today... and my 1 year warranty was over on November 16.... JUST ONLY 4 DAYS AGO! oh' well.

6. jamin100 macrumors 6502

they will NOT give you a new computer... all they will do is replace the palm rest.

I brought an 06 macbook off ebay a few months back.. it was well out of warranty and had no applecare.

I phoned apple and they agreed to replace the plam rest, keyboard and trackpad without any fuss. The macbook wasnt even registered in my name..

It all got replaced for free anyway.. so if yours is cracked and you don't have applecare just phone them up and they will sort it for you.

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

My other half has a MacBook in the Apple Store currently undergoing repair for the cracking problem - it's simply a new top case/keyboard.

8. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

9. McTired macrumors newbie

The bigger question is does it still have to be under warrenty to qualify for the replacement? Mine just developed a chip about two inches long by the right side of the keyboard cover edge.

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I think I have read it a couple of times on this forum that Apple replaced them after warranty. But at least in one case, the replaced case cracked again, replaced, and cracked again...

11. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

I just brought my MacBook in this past Wednesday for the cracking problem. They replaced the palm rest, trackpad and keyboard, no questions asked. In fact, they had the parts in stock, so they replaced it while I waited, for free!

I'm still in my first year of my warranty, but I can tell you that after that kind of service, I bought AppleCare on the spot!