Crack on rear of the dock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimmy83, Mar 5, 2010.

1. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

Just found a 5mm crack from the middle of m dock connector heading upwards towards the back on my 3G. Finished my contract now, on the simplicity deal now. I've got insurance any know who I should deal with to see I I can get a replacement?

If I can ge a replacement, would it be a 3G handset again? Iam in the UK if that's matters.

2. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

The Apple store would be the place to go. Get an appointment with a "Genius" and see what they can do for you.

EDIT: Yes, I am 99.9% sure it woould be a 3G replacement.

3. jimmy83 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ive not got an Apple store locally. I brought the phone through carphonewarehouse with is through O2.

Do you think they would need to see my phone on, as its jailbroke.

4. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

I have the same cracking, I have a 3G iphone not to old, but on both corners of the dock connecter there is a small crack.

Let us know what they say about a fix for that, mine has never been dropped or anything but i would love that to get fixed.

Thanks!

5. jimmy83 thread starter macrumors 65816

Phoned carphonewarehouse, and they said bring it in and they will send it off but it could be 2 weeks, and I wont get an iPhone replacement during that 2 weeks :mad:

Will try phoning an apple store and see what they say.

6. ukcolinr macrumors regular

I had a similar issue on my 3GS, A small crack on the rear of the dock. My 3GS was still under warranty. Spoke to phone support who arranged a Genius appointment for me in Bristol and they did a straight swap for in store.

Did you get Apple Care for your iPhone 3G. If so you should be able to do the same in an Apple Store, if not I don't *think* Apple are obliged to help you, try going through your insurance? Or is that with CPW themselves? 2 weeks seems like a crazy time to wait without a handset.

7. jimmy83 thread starter macrumors 65816

Phoned carphonewarehouse, and they said bring it in and they will send it off but it could be 2 weeks, and I wont get an iPhone replacement during that 2 weeks

Will try phoning an apple store and O2 see what they say.

8. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

I called Apple, and told them about the dock crack, mine are very small. I said it was never dropped and therefore i didn't crack it, it must have been a case defect or stress. The apple rep. said he totally understands and gave me my options (since i have applecare and its still under warranty). Basically they put a hold for 600$ on my credit card (for the new iphone) then they shipped it to me, it should arrive wednesday he said, and i will ship mine back. When they get my old iphone they remove the 600$ hold.

I will always have a phone and i think this whole thing will only cost me a 10$ fee or something. I think thats totally okay for a new iphone because a tiny crack no one would notice with looking very hard for.

I suggest to call apple, i told my friend about this and she had the same crack and they did the same for her. Never once did they even ask to see my phone, they took my word on everything.

Very nice to deal with no hassle at all!

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

10. John89 macrumors regular

I have a stress fracture on the back of my 6month old 3gs which I believe was caused by the case I use. Its a leather one where you pull a tab at the back and the phone comes out.

Not, my 3gs is out of warrenty because of water damage. Obviously this hasn't been caused by water damage, so will I still be able to get a replacement from an apple store?

11. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

bought FFS

in fact, none of that makes any sense

12. John89 macrumors regular

Apple store replaced it regardless of the water damage. No questions asked.

13. will0407 macrumors 6502a

if any iphone is under warranty, you can get it exchanged at an apple store for a refurbished/new one. If it's not under warranty, they MAY still replace it, but it depends how far out of warranty it is.

14. jimmy83 thread starter macrumors 65816

Its out of warranty but I do have insurance through O2. Ive had the handset for around 19months now. On another forum I use alot of people suggest that they will replace it no questions.

Mine is the 3G 16GB model. Would love a 3GS replacement with the old bootroom. But on the other hand a refurb 3G would suit me better as I like to jb mine.

Or am I just worrying about nothing :eek: Iam just thinking of the resale value really.

15. Jack1979(NI) macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my 8 month old iPhone. Went to the Apple store in Victoria Square, Belfast today. Replaced my phone straight away, no questions asked. Make sure you back up your iPhone before the appointment though!