crack screen and trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by blazerdude20, Dec 3, 2009.

1. blazerdude20 macrumors member

so i left my early '09 macbook next to my livingroom window on tuesday night, i didnt have the heat on in that room and the temps outside got below freezing.

well i opened my computer yesterday and my glass screen and trackpad have cracks all through them. will apple replace the glass? the screen behind it is fine. i've never seen this before, my fiances dell laptop was next to mine and it didnt crack from the cold.

any idea if apple will fix this? its still under warranty. if not anyone know where i can get a replacement screen?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

According to Apple's specs page, the MacBook Pro has storage temperatures rated as:

Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F
    (-24° to 45° C)

Unless you're north of the Arctic, I doubt you saw -13F (-24C). You may actually have a case for replacement under warranty.

If the computer was in sleep mode though, as opposed to powered down, the operating temp range is 50-95F, in which case you may be outside that range...so it's kind of gray. Best to call AppleCare or swing down to a local Apple Store and see what they say.

3. blazerdude20 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the information. the computer was on, i shut it and plugged it in to charge. i assume it would still be only in sleep mode while charging?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you shut down and then plugged it in, it will have been off but charging. If you just shut the lid and plugged it in, yes...it was sleeping.