Cracked and broken MBP trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yixian, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Yixian macrumors 65816

Well, kind of losing spirit here lol, a few days ago I posted about a bit scratch that appeared out of nowhere on my brand new iPad, now this:

Spilt a tiny quantity, maybe 3 ml, of coke onto the case of my mbp and s little of it drained into the bottom edge of the trackpad. It became unresponsive and made only a dull click for the next 15 mins. Whilst tapping harder to see if I could get a click out of it (it ofc happened whilst doing something important) the glass of the track pad cracked beneath my finger.. Wasn't even tapping that hard.

Another few normal pressure taps later and now it looks pretty much like it's been hit by a car.

Oh and it still doesn't work either, it's in a constant state of clicked-ness.

Any idea? Any specific knowledge on how much this will end up costing me in the UK?

2. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

I guess you could contact Apple Care, and see what they say?

3. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't have apple care and, to make matters worse, am in a country ATM with no official apple stores.

I have insurance though, I guess my premiums are buggered :(

4. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

The coke leave a very sticky mess. You'll have to open up your case and try to clean it out perhaps with some q-tips and rubbing alcohol. Try to find a teardown from ifixit or elsewhere to guide you. Alternatively, buy a replacement trackpad and swap it out yourself or take it to a certified technician and bite the bill.