Cracked case... what to do? Apple Care?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dphall, Jan 16, 2009.

1. dphall macrumors newbie

Hi Mac Community,

I've got an 18 month old white macbook, and have noticed this evening that there is a crack on the front left corner of the unit (near the trackpad). It's about 5cm long, and a 2mm wide strip of the plastic case is in danger of snapping off. It's obviously not a structually big deal, but I'm a bit annoyed that my (pristine and well looked-after!) MB is damaged.

Should this be covered by Apple Care? If so, how do I go about arranging the repair? I don't live in a city with an Apple Store (Edinburgh, UK), but there's a 3rd party retailer here who is pretty good. Whilst I try to arrange this, is it worth gluing the strip. I don't want it to snap off completely, but equally don't want to invalidate my warranty by trying to self-repair it. Finally, I'm approaching a point in my work where I need my MB for some fairly important reports (in the next 2-3 weeks), and really don't want to send it away for replacement for an unspecified time period!

Help! Any advice most gratefully received :)

Dave

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

You should be covered. If by what I read is what I've seen here on these forums, then you will be fine.

People have gotten it repaired with/without warranty.

3. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

From other threads on here I think that Apple replaces the case immediately for a crack :)

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

This has been discussed numerous times. Most people have said Apple fixed it even out of warranty.

5. andyhargreaves macrumors regular

+1

I've had several cases replaced on my white macbook due to cracks and splits. Actually, have just developed another split along the front, so off back to Apple fairly soon!

Andy