Cracked glass screen...help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mollsss, Mar 11, 2013.

1. mollsss macrumors newbie

This morning I rolled out of bed and...stepped on my MacBook. I'm still kind of in shock. I don't even remember placing it on the floor or near my bed, but what's happened has happened.

I heard a crack- lo and behold, there are cracks on the right side of the screen, some of which extend all the way across my screen. The LCD is totally fine (whew!) and the cracks do not prevent me from using my MB as normal, but where the main crack is, I had to put tape over it to stop the minuscule shards of glass from falling out. I'm worried about this affecting the LCD screen underneath.
    I need to get this fixed.
    I found a place in my town that will do it for $179, but I'm worried about voiding my warranty.

I have AppleCare, but I've heard that they don't replace screens (accidental damage).

Can someone with experience PLEASE advise me on my bet course of action? I'm a student and I'll be scraping pennies to try and get this fixed.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Take it to an authorized Apple repair center or to an Apple store. They'll still fix it, you'll just have to pay.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Do you live near an Apple Store or Authorized Apple Repair Provider?

When is your AppleCare warranty expire?

Apple will fix it for $$ or may be lucky enough to get it done free.

4. mollsss thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not live near an Apple Store, but I can get to one sometime this week. My AppleCare warranty expires in December 2012.

I would like to get it fixed by Apple, but I know that they will likely deem it accidental damage and I will have to pay for it. From what I've heard, Apple's repairs are expensive. I don't have that kind of money.

I guess I will be calling them later tonight to hear my options.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It's already 2013 :p

It wouldn't hurt to take it to Apple. I've heard stories of them repairing some accidental damage for free (just be honest).

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Good idea

Any Apple Service Centers?

7. mollsss thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry- I meant December 2013! It expires then. Typo :rolleyes:

I'll try and take it in when I get a chance, then! Thanks!

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why would Apple fix a user cracked screen for free? Ford won't replace your windshield for free when a rock hits it.

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Because they have great customer service and have a history of sometimes replacing for free.

Glad to educate you about Apple CS.

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Fantastic service agreed, but cracked MacBook screen replacement.

Anybody here actually had Apple replace a cracked glass MacBook screen?

11. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I recently read from someone who had a cracked LCD on a 2009 iMac and got a 2012 iMac for *free*.

12. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

No idea - Apple has been known to repair iPhone,iPad,Macs that didn't qualify for warranty repair.

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Read the same thread, An Apple tech was the one who damaged it so they replaced it at no cost. This was not user damage.

----------

That's why I'd like to find non anecdotal user experiences. A screen replacement is several hundred dollars on most MacBooks. It was no fault of Apple's that the OP stepped on it. Bad luck.

14. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It's an example of Apple's excellent customer service, though.

15. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The cost of the repair will be less than the initial profit on the machine, weighted with the benefits of a very happy customer, means geniuses will often "surprise" people with free repairs if you're nice to them.

The repair might cost the customer £349. But it doesn't cost Apple that.

16. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I was waiting to get my iPhone replaced because it had a broken button (I've had every iPhone replaced because buttons stop working), and there was a woman and her daughter in line with a cracked screen iPad. They gave some sob story about how the daughter was using the iPad and thunder struck and the girl got startled and dropped the iPad on the floor and the screen cracked. I was shocked when they begged their way to a free replacement. They said it dropped onto soft carpet from a low height and it shouldn't have cracked. it clearly had an impact spot with cracks spread out like it hit the corner of a cabinet or something. Even the aluminum case was dented. I still can't believe it. Moral of the story. Bring a sad crying girl with you and you'll get things fixed for free I guess.

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I would take it to Apple and get a quote on what they would charge to fix it, then you can make an informed comparison.

The place that will do it for $179 will probably just be replacing the glass, while I would expect Apple to only replace the entire display unit which will probably cost more.

There's a chance that your warranty would be voided for future issues by having the other company do the repair, but if the price difference is enough then it may be worth it.

It's possible that Apple would still honor the AppleCare if something unrelated goes wrong (like a hard drive or logic board issue), but not guaranteed.

18. twario macrumors newbie

Maybe?

I keep hearing about if you have apple repair it, then they will replace the whole screen, not just the glass. As the customer, can't you just ask to have the glass repaired? To quote my sister "I feel like as the customer, they won't turn you away for such". So can't you make that as a request?

19. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It depends on how their repair system operates. They may or may not only carry entire display units for replacement.

If they specifically carry the glass alone, then they might.

The only way to find out is to ask I suppose.

20. twario macrumors newbie

I meant if you actually send it into Apple, could you have just the glass repaired. Or does that depend on the location?