Cracked iPad Air screen repair - Apple Store or mailin

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Batavian, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I cracked the screen on my iPad Air and will be going to Apple for a repair. My question is which is quicker? Sending the iPad back to Apple in the mail/UPS for repair? Or going to the Apple Store for a repair?

More specifically regarding going to an Apple Store, do they do the repair in house, that day, in sort of an "out patient" service? Or do they just take it and mail it to Apple just like I would have done myself?

The reason I ask is that the closest Apple Store to me is 45 miles away. If they do the repair right there in the store where I could wait or come back in an hour, I would do that. If not, if they are just mailing the iPad back to an Apple service center the same as I would if I mailed it direct, I'd just as soon do that and save me the trip.

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Always such a bummer when the screen gets broken.

Apple does not do repairs in house.

Even if you found an independent repair shop that replaces screens, it's not going to be done in an hour or two.

If your Air is relatively new and still under warranty, they may swap it out. Hard to say.

3. St8kout macrumors regular

Normally, if it was a defect under warranty you would walk out the store with a replacement.
    Since it's not a defect you should call/email Apple about what is the best/fastest way to go.