Cracked iPhone 3GS - Still Under AppleCare

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Chilz0r, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Chilz0r macrumors regular

Hey all,

Well I was at work and the first time I drop my iPhone 3GS it decides to land face first onto a bunch of cement bricks :D lol. Anyway. After picking it up I can still use the screen perfectly fine start apps blah blah blah all is good except for the massive cracks in the screen.

I'm just wondering what the deal is with getting a glass screen replacement. Will it be covered under AppleCare and if it isn't what is the cost of getting Apple to repair it for me? Please note I live in Australia and have the extended AppleCare warranty. I am not on any plan, just pre-paid.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Studies show that by searching this site you would find that Apple Care doesn't cover accidential damage and your cost to replace will be $199; at least in the US. Take it in and you can get a new one or they may be nice and replace the glass for free as that's happened before as well.

3. Chilz0r thread starter macrumors regular

Where can I download this fantastical study?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

don't worry your pretty little head and just call Apple about the replacement.

5. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

MacRumors members do not speak for Apple. Contact Apple. Individual experiences may vary.

The"study" is a self performed search of the many, many posts on "I did ---- to my iPhone. Will Apple accept responsibility for my negligence?"

7. Chilz0r thread starter macrumors regular

Negligence? I wasn't even drinking while driving my iPhone!!!

8. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

Apple Care does not cover accidental damage. You can get an out of warranty replacement, it the US it's $199. I don't know what it is in AUD. The info is on the apple website, look for "out of warranty replacement".

9. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Apple Care does not cover accidental damage.

what part of that is under dispute ?

sure he might get lucky and get it replaced for free, but we're letting him know what the rules/guidelines are

10. CupertinoiPhone macrumors member

There are lot of repair shops who will do it for $99

I would suggest not going the DIY route as the 3GS LCD's are very expensive.
    Seek Professional Repair.

-Ganesh

11. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

3Gs Replacement Screen

find a local repair shop. I do these repairs every day for $100 so I am sure you can find one in your area!

12. OfficeLinebacke macrumors member

Why spend $200 at the Apple Store when you can get it repaired within a couple of hours for $100 like chargit says?