Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasheeky

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
Buy SquareTrade warranty right now. Once you are insured, go to apple, pay the $229 to replace phone at genius bar. Take receipt to Squaretrade, they will reimburse you $229 - $49.99 (deductible).

In the end, it will still cost your $about 145 (95 for squaretrade, 50 deduct) but now you will have coverage for future incidents for the next 2 years with an allowance for 3 additional occurances.

you're welcome.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Buy SquareTrade warranty right now. Once you are insured, go to apple, pay the $229 to replace phone at genius bar. Take receipt to Squaretrade, they will reimburse you $229 - $49.99 (deductible).

In the end, it will still cost your $about 145 (95 for squaretrade, 50 deduct) but now you will have coverage for future incidents for the next 2 years with an allowance for 3 additional occurances.

you're welcome.

Insurance fraud is always the first thing that comes up :s

Man on the moon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
Ridiculous

If the bbb cant help me replace it, I will definitely throw a fit at an Apple store.

You think that will help you get the phone replaced?

They will just ask you to leave and never come back again.

You know exactly where it happened and you can convince yourself otherwise but it does not change the fact that you caused it.

Your phone did not decide to just crack/shatter on that morning. :D

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
Were you wearing skinny jeans? If you think about it, the pressure of wearing skinny jeans and walking up the stairs (maybe even running) will press hard against your leg and probably cause damage to the phone. So in reality you can blame Apple for not making an iron iPhone. The iPhone does not crack by itself. Something caused it. A phone doesn't have to hit something or fall down to actually break. There are numerous of causes. :rolleyes:

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
At 2 today, I put my phone in my pocket, climbed the stairs, and went to class. I took my phone back out at 2:50, and it had a completely shattered screen. No drop, no damage. Dont believe me if you dont want, but its true.
I contacted Apple- they want me to pay between 150-250. I'm a student, I cant pay that much. I filed a complaint with the BBB. Any ideas as to what I should do? The screen is shattered completely.
What to do?

eww CUT YOUR NAILS.

It doesn't look like it was dropped, or that it shattered from a specific point of impact. But like someone else said, you might have dropped it previously and it created a microscopic crack that weakened your screen.

aliciadear

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
Sadly, I don't think you can buy Apple Care plus at this point. You have buy it as there is no damage to your phone.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A/applecare-for-iphone

My friend paid $220 to replace his cracked iPhone5 (he dropped it) few weeks ago. Hopefully, you will have better luck than him.

Technically this is true about not being able to buy applecare plus once it's damaged, BUT, I know for a fact that you can purchase it over the phone. I'm not saying it's the good or honest thing to do by any means, but it is possible if you're within the 30 days. I had my iphone 5 delivered last night and I hadn't ordered applecare plus for it when I placed the order because I was considering squaretrade. As soon as I got my phone (about 7pm last night) I got on the phone with apple to order it before I even took the phone all the way out of the box. I do have an apple store within 20 miles from me (though he never told me I needed to take it in to the store) but I didn't want to have to drive all the way out there on Halloween and I didn't want to mess up my phone before it was insured. Not saying that I support this, especially if you're not telling the truth about what happened, but if you are, this might be an option. It will still be $99 plus the $50 replacement but it's cheaper than $250 and if you break it again it will only be $50 for the second replacement.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
Dude, it's just one of those shattered screen prank apps that your friend put on your phone to fool you.

Reboot bro, reboot.

hiroden

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Technically this is true about not being able to buy applecare plus once it's damaged, BUT, I know for a fact that you can purchase it over the phone. I'm not saying it's the good or honest thing to do by any means, but it is possible if you're within the 30 days. I had my iphone 5 delivered last night and I hadn't ordered applecare plus for it when I placed the order because I was considering squaretrade. As soon as I got my phone (about 7pm last night) I got on the phone with apple to order it before I even took the phone all the way out of the box. I do have an apple store within 20 miles from me (though he never told me I needed to take it in to the store) but I didn't want to have to drive all the way out there on Halloween and I didn't want to mess up my phone before it was insured. Not saying that I support this, especially if you're not telling the truth about what happened, but if you are, this might be an option. It will still be $99 plus the $50 replacement but it's cheaper than $250 and if you break it again it will only be $50 for the second replacement.

I guess it depends on where you live? I live in Vancouver, BC (Canada) and there are 4 apple stores in the area. When I phone Apple to purchase Apple Care+, she told me to get it from Apple store as phone is required to be inspected for damages.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Looking at the chips on the aluminium band on the right of the phone I'd say the front face had some pretty hard core blunt trauma. If this was in your pocket you must have brushed in to something or put all your body weight on to the phone while pressing against a railing or wall to cause that kind of shattering effect. Whatever caused it the pressure was pretty even as there is no single point of impact it's pretty evenly spread over the whole front.

I really don't think you can blame Apple for this because they use very very tough glass and it is obvious some trauma occurred it didn't just spontaneously shatter.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I think the left side of your phone got bump or you have tight pants. Cracks probably started there.

aliciadear

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
I guess it depends on where you live? I live in Vancouver, BC (Canada) and there are 4 apple stores in the area. When I phone Apple to purchase Apple Care+, she told me to get it from Apple store as phone is required to be inspected for damages.

I wonder if it also might depend on who you talk to. The guy I spoke to didn't even ask where I lived until I gave him my credit card info. I just checked and my nearest apple store is 12.5 miles away so I could have easily gone in if he told me to and there are also at least 5 more within a 30 mile radius from me. I might try again if you still want to do it over the phone (or call after store hours?). Maybe I just got lucky.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can clearly see the chips and scrapes on the aluminum band in that pic on the top left of the phone.
It never just scracked on its own, and when Apple see's that too they will not replace it for free.
Good luck with whatever you want to do. Call the BBB, FBI, CIA etc....

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
people who consume more than several GB of data and are on tiered plans. $200 is stretching it..but most people pay $100+ a month for one phone line.

Thank god i have unlimited data

i have 6gb of data. $60/m

i also live in canada.

ccwestcliff

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Toronto, ON
You can clearly see the chips and scrapes on the aluminum band in that pic on the top left of the phone.

If my eyes don't trick & treat me, I see chips and scrapes (at least two) as well. Take it to an Apple Store and they will tell you. There was a story on here a couple of weeks ago from a guy whose battery expanded and made the screen crack. However, his iPhone body looked perfect and sadly yours doesn't IMHO.

rmerani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012

you're welcome.

So is it possible for me to buy Squaretrade now, and then go to the Apple store, get it replaced, file a claim with Squaretrade and get 179.99 back...???

MistaGavin

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
So is it possible for me to buy Squaretrade now, and then go to the Apple store, get it replaced, file a claim with Squaretrade and get 179.99 back...???
Sure, but that's called fraud. Not very legal either.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Sure, but that's called fraud. Not very legal either.

Not only is it fraud, its now documented here on a public forum that is searchable from any search engine.

Squaretrade ADH which is what this would be covered under doesn't kick in for 30 days AFTER you sign up. I'm sure they do it for this very reason, to prevent fraud from people that think their entitled to a new phone after they "accidentally" broke it.

Own up to your mistake, accident or not you're not entitled to a new phone for something you caused. This isn't a manufactures defect its a user defect.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I didnt buy Apple care. I dropped it once maybe, before. But that caused no scratches or cracks. Since its only been 12 days since ive had the phone, can I still buy apple care, and pay 49 bucks for accidental damage?

By the way, I didnt hit my leg on the railing, or anywhere where it could have impacted. I remember because I was walking in the middle of the staircase, and my friend was by the railing........

Im telling you there was NO point of impact, no place where it legit hit anything. maybe a previous drop caused it to crack completely.
however, that doesnt change the fact that i need a new phone

If you didn't hit it against anything (I know you said no to railing but what about getting in and out of the desk? I know you can bump your thigh that way), it was probably from a previous crack that already weakened the screen so a very minor bump (that you may not remember) could cause the screen to give.

Now, as for adding Applecare+ now? I would think that would be dishonest and I wouldn't do it. Plus they may require you come into the Apple store to do it so they can look over the phone.

I'm sorry but you may be out of luck. Yes, it was an accident but it isn't Apple's fault the screen broke. Your best option is to buy the $229 replacement which is pretty generous that Apple offers that. Could you borrow money from people and pay them back?

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
It is possible the screen could somehow or another come with stress fractures already present, and from that, any unusual movement brings about a complete malfunction of it's designed support.

However, it seems if this were possible, or rather, likely the reason, the screen would have shattered during transportation from China to the customers local store.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It is possible the screen could somehow or another come with stress fractures already present, and from that, any unusual movement brings about a complete malfunction of it's designed support.

However, it seems if this were possible, or rather, likely the reason, the screen would have shattered during transportation from China to the customers local store.

You dont see the chips and scratches on the metal band on the pic.
I dont think those happen on their own either:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.