Cracked iPhone Screen: I'm very distraught!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmh16, Oct 6, 2008.

1. bmh16 macrumors regular

I am so annoyed it's unbelievable. After 3 weeks of usage my iPhone 3G dropped out of my jacket pocket on to the concrete and now has a big crack at the top. Its not terrible and only covers a couple of cm of visible screen and the touch screen and everything still works as usual but it looks bad. What are the options in front of me now? Cos i have no idea what i can do!

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

You can pay $299 for a replacement I believe.
    Or sell it and maybe even make some money:D

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Will they sell you another 3G iPhone for a subsidized price when you used your 24-month subsidy to get the first one for cheap?

bmh16, make an appt. with the Genius Bar and see how much the repair is. It should be a flat-rate fee, like benflick said. ... probably your least expensive option.

Does the credit card you used to buy it have that 90-days accidental damage coverage?

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

That's the subsidized price, since a new phone would be an unsubsidized replacement it will be considerably more.

6. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for replying. I got it on PAYG here in the UK and bought it in the UK with cash 3 weeks ago tomorrow. What do i do if i go in tomorrow and ask for insurance or something like that? Horribly sneaky, but i've dropped other phones before and nothing ever has happened, and i barely dropped this and it has got a few cracks. Gutted and annoyed with how Apple have made it, as it seems like a cheap screen.

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Nope, you will end up paying full value (which stinks), but if the OP is really that distraught, this would help. :)

8. f1 macrumors 6502

Its, cheap because you dropped it and it broke?

9. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

it's laser-cut glass... Pretty nice if you ask me... It def wasn't meant to be dropped onto concrete...

A human baby is pretty advanced... You can't drop one of those onto concrete...

10. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

The iphone screen is not "cheap" by any means. Glass is glass, what would you rather have: A very scratched screen, or a virtually unscratchable glass screen that sometimes may shatter If dropped. I'm not pointing any fingers, but it's your fault the screen is cracked, not Apple's

11. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't asking for people to argue but rather to help me what to do. Would accidental damage insurance for our house work?

12. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fF0DF-mbn4

Is this all i would have to do to replace the screen? If so do you think any person really could do this without messing up the iPhone? Also what would i need to buy to replace the screen? Just a screen for £20 on ebay or what? Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It might, but it probably doesn't meet your deductible so they wouldn't pay anything. A better course of action, if you paid for it with a credit card, they may have some accidental breakage policy on purchases. You should check it out.

14. ~Phi macrumors regular

I'm fairly certain that if you still have the cracked iPhone Apple will repair it for $299/$199. It's on the Apple support page somewhere.

15. number1golfer, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  16. bossxii macrumors 68000

17. mchad macrumors member

uhm...this thread is very old

18. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Apple will replace it for $199.99.