Cracked iPhone Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iZeeshan, Dec 3, 2010.

1. iZeeshan macrumors regular

So today I got out of the car and apparently my phone was in my lap, and probably fell three feet straight onto the concrete.

Now i have a massive "scratch" through my screen, but it's actually a crack and a couple of cracks at the bottom near the button too.

How do I get this replaced and what's the estimate cost?

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Resist macrumors 68030

3. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

WOw that looks extremely complicated!

It also costs $150 for the parts.

How much will Apple charge to fix it?

I still have the warranty but I doubt it makes a difference. SOmeone mentioned that sometimes credit cards cover some sort of Purchase Protection Plan ... any idea about that?

4. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Yeah, sometimes. Consult your card issuers user agreement. Or just call them.

5. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

So yeah, accidental damage isn't covered under my card.

What about Apple?

6. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

What about them? They don't cover accidental damage either. You aren't getting this fixed for free unless you bought some sort of third party insurance/warranty that you haven't told us about.

I've seen many people get out of the car w/ a phone in their lap to have it crash to the ground. Expensive lesson learned.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple will swap the broken phone for a reconditioned one for $199 (£149 in the UK) under their out of warranty service program. See here for more info. The advantage of doing it through apple rather than buying the parts and trying to fix it yourself is that you retain the balance of your warranty / AppleCare on the replacement phone.