Cracked iPhone - Thinking about 3GS need help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mugs, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Mugs macrumors regular

Hey! I have a 16GB 3G. I got it about a week after they released it. I dropped it a few weeks ago and now the screen has tonnes and cracks in it. It still works but is very annoying. I have been told by carphone warehouse that it is £170 to get the screen replaced, there isn't an Apple store very close so I haven't asked there. Now, I would really like a 3GS mainly because my screen is cracked and the 32GB would be so useful for me. But obviously o2 are being a bit gay and saying you have to pay off the rest of your contract first then pay another £269 for the phone. I do understand that, but it would have been nice to just have an upgrade price around 300.... Anyway, I was thinking could I get the screen replaced (£170) then sell my 3G on eBay for roughly £300-£400 (thats what I'm seeing on eBay) then buy the pay & go 32gb for £530 (or however much it is). Am I able to put my current contract sim in this pay & go phone?? Also is there a cheaper way of replacing my screen?? If I did this then I would be paying roughly 300 or a lil bit more to get the new phone. I would be perfectly happy with this cus as I said my screen is already broken, so am desperate for a new phone. Thank a lot.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Take a look at this site and compare the prices to yours: http://www.digiexpress.us/iPhone-3G_c_28.html

I realize you are 'across the pond' (not in the US), however convert the prices and see how much it would run you. I think those are reasonable prices for the parts, so use that as a benchmark and find a place that will replace the part for that cost.

3. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, thanks for that. It comes to £55. But I don't they ship to the UK? Does anyone know of places that will repair the screen in England??? Also does anyone know the other question about wether the contract sim will work in pay & go iPhone? Thanks

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Also remember that you don't necessarily need a new 'screen'. If its just the glass thats cracked, you need the replacement glass & digitizer, not the LCD itself. So look for a repair place that will just replace the glass, which should drastically cut costs.

5. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok cool. Thank a lot for that. So I should just try n find somewhere in England that just replaces the glass. I really hope all this works cus using this phone is so annoying and 32GB would just be amazing for me. Thanks