Cracked iPod Touch ;-;

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Hidendra, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Hidendra macrumors member

Hey,

so i accidentally dropped my ipod onto a gravel shoulder on the road today and when I picked it up I found a nice crack .. Anyways, it seems like it's just the front panel, you can't really feel the crack at all and the touch screen works fine.

Just wondering - this immediately voided the limited warranty, right? I bought it ~5 months ago. If so, how much would Apple charge to replace the part, or do they not? If not, how hard is it to manually install a new front panel (if the LCD itself was cracked, it would be obvious, right?)

Thanks!

edit: also, should i just go into the Genius Bar anyway, to see what they say?

2. kdawson424 macrumors newbie

Wouldn't hurt to go ask at the store if you have time this weekend. If its under warranty I don't see why they wouldn't at least try to fix it.

3. slashcrashcup macrumors newbie

Please let us know how this turns out. I am in the exact same situation as of 3 hours ago. My 4yr old son kicked it off of the sofa arm on accident. I didn't notice it right away, about 30 minutes later. Let us know.

4. celticpride678

Apple would not replace this under warrenty because it is of user fault.
    If you want Apple to replace it, it will cost somewhere around $200 just for the glass and maybe more if the screen is cracked too.
    Yes, you would just make a Genius Bar appointment.

Sorry for the not so great news, but its the truth.

5. nextdimension macrumors newbie

According to Apple store here, Apple will give you a new iPod for half the price. So if you cracked your $399 32G you can have it replaced for $199. A 16 would cost $150 to replace.

My 32G iPod functioned perfectly fine for 5 weeks after cracking it. Then the screen just suddenly went white. I chose to save my $199 for the next gen iPod in Sept. or maybe an iPhone.

6. AClark macrumors newbie

I bet if you searched on google you could find a replacement for the glass and then fix it yourself for a fraction of the cost. $200 seems ridiculous to fix a crack.

7. AClark macrumors newbie

8. Austin2048 macrumors 6502

Austin2048

i cracked my iPod touch glass too. works 100% and i was gonna take it to apple to see if they could do anything. if apple wont do anything ima go to directfix.com and buy the replacement glass piece and the case opener tool for like 54 bucks and replace the glass myself