Cracked LCD - $700 to repair. What's the next step?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryan1524, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Unfortunate accident. Ironically, it was an iPhone that did the damage.

Considering that amount is almost exactly half of a brand new Macbook Uni, I'm seriously considering an upgrade. However, my MBP was originally a Santa Rosa 2.4 GHz machine with 15" LCD and dedicated graphics.

The current Macbooks are practically identical in power, minus the screen space and the ports. So I am now considering another option, reverting back to my 1.5GHz Powerbook G4.

I always always buy the top of the line of a particular choice (17" excluded, simply because it's impractical for me), so I'm not too keen on 'settling' for a Macbook. Or even a low-end 15".

What would you do? thanks all for the advice.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

There are third parties who will replace an LCD screen for a lot less than $700. Take a look around

3. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Hm, I see. Good call. I found a few who will do it for $400 (counting shipping, etc). But that's still money going into a 2-yr old laptop with a battery that claims its health is 75% one second and 34% the next.

This does change the game up a bit though. Any other sides?

4. dimme macrumors 65816

To me $400 is a better choice that using the G4

5. rukus macrumors member

be honest with yourself.
    does having the best of the best make any difference in your use of the computer?
    can you do what you need to with the 'bottom end' mbp or mb?

6. Jess.H macrumors member

Jess.H

If you need more power, make the jump to upgrade. If not, shop around to have the screen replaced. As has been mentioned, $700 is way too high. [​IMG]

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

If you're considering third party, then you're probably not concerned about warranty?

Think you might be able to fix it yourself in that case?

Displays are like $200 - $250 if you're doing it yourself.

8. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

9. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I would look through Craig's List or eBay to see if someone is selling a damaged MBP that you could use. Since Apple wont cover your LCD under warranty, you might as well do it your self.

I know I always try to find an excuse to upgrade but if your okay with your current MBP, then why spend the extra cash.

10. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Yeah, I've looked at replacing the LCD myself, and I should have the skills for it. So I might be able to get away with spending just 250$ for the panel Only and have a working MBP again.

As for needing the extra power, I probly don't. I do a lot of photo editing in Lightroom and photoshop. But that's about it, and doing it on my current spec was no slouch either. So it should be do-able in any low-end MB/P.

The only concern I have is that I still have almost a year left on Applecare, and replacing the LCD myself might void that. Then again, i doubt anything significant will go wrong with a year left. the parts that can go wrong just did. (Superdrive and top panel is being replaced under warranty at the moment - they failed naturally).

11. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

If you go in with a busted LCD that looks like your laptop was mistreated, then that will void your Applecare. Might as well fix the screen yourself and then don't say anything if you need Applecare service in the future.

12. Aboo macrumors 6502a

If portability is not to big of a concern for you, you can probably pick up a really nice external LCD display for arond 250-400 depending on the size and just connect your MBP to that. You will probably need a keyboard/mouse combo. This will certainly be cheaper than paying apple 700+ to fix the LCD.

13. tivoboy macrumors 68030

techrestore

I've used techrestore here in the bay area, fast turn around, excellent screen, no dead pixels (that I could see at least) and fairly cheap - certainly compared to the $pple store.

14. suburbia macrumors 6502

Have you given the UofT Computer Store a call? I've always found them helpful and reasonably-priced.

15. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

Any pics ??

I find these things interesting to see

16. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

How did you buy it? Don't most Visa gold or platinum cards have some kind of purchase protection?

17. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I've decided to grab an LCD for now. I might attempt a repair, which should cost me $250 if I do it myself, or $350 if I get someone the install it for me.

Here's a picture.

[​IMG]

18. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

New setup.

Destruction brought my PowerBook back from retirement to become my temporary mobile computer. Until I repair the LCD myself, it will have to sit at home with this awesome panel from Samsung. :cool:

[​IMG]

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I think this company can help you out... They sell new and used components, perhaps if your brave enough you could save a small fortune and fit the display yourself? There are tons of tutorials online, ifixit.com comes to mind.

20. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Hahah.

Yea, I placed an order with them earlier tonight. I'm definitely going to fit the display myself. I'm quite experienced with servicing electronic devices. $250 is definitely much more palatable than $700.

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

What samsung monitor is that? Also those altec lansing speakers I still have them and going 8 years strong, those are awesome little 5.1 speakers.

22. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

That is a recently released Samsung 2343BW. It's cheaper than a 24", but carries 2048x1152. That's MORE than full HD, and also has 16:9 aspect ratio. Brilliant screen.

Yeah, I've had those speakers since 2001. They're 2.1, but can still rock the house - or at least the floor :D.

23. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I would just go with a new one.. paying a large fraction of the actual cost just isnt worth it for an older laptop..