Cracked LCD on a refurbished MacBook from June 09

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by laxexquis, Sep 26, 2010.

1. laxexquis macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently dropped my MacBook and cracked the LCD. I bought this MacBook in June of 09 and it is the refurbished one.

I also bought Apple Care. And I know that it doesn't cover things that you did accidently, but my question is to you is it possible for the LCD to malfunction by itself and have black blotches of ink and lines through the screen or could that only be from dropping it.

Because to be honest, I paid for this apple care and would like to make use of it. So if it is possible for the screen to bleed through by itself from a defect or recall, I would like to claim it was that. There are really no signs of physical damage, just black ink looking blotches and the screen displays the colors too light and there are straight lines running across the screen.

Just tell if it is possible it can break on its own.

Other wise, how much would I be spending on replacing the screen?

thanks for your help

John

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Not possible for it to end up like that on its own. Everyone knows when they see lines and black blotches that the LCD is physically cracked and usually users are to blame for that.

Probably looking at a minimum I would say of $500? You could always go the ebay route and find yourself the LCD panel itself and use an ifixit guide to take off the display bezel and install the new LCD.

3. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

If you go the non apple way the lcd panels aren't that expensive. When my old hp lcd broke I bought one for 106€ new and replaced myself:p

Now the apple route will be way more expensive.

4. laxexquis thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, I think I might do it myself.

Could any recommend me the best place to buy one of these screens? Its for the uni body white macbook.

John

5. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

6. johnnyham macrumors regular

I replaced the screen in my Macbook with a screen off eBay that I fetched for around 90 USD. Installation required pretty much a complete tear down of the computer, but once it was all plugged in, it worked like a charm. Spent maybe an hour, two tops on it. Much cheaper and faster than taking it to Apple.