Cracked LCD Screen...NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by taibien86, Dec 19, 2007.

1. taibien86 macrumors member

I have a 15" Powerbook G4 and I love it. It runs Leopard as smooth as any 3 year old Powerbook would. The only problem is it slid off my bed once and theres a crack in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Apple says it could be anywhere from $700 - $900 for a new screen. I checked online and got this fraud site wegenermedia.com (they have multiple complaints against them filed to the Better Business Bureau).

I would like to keep this computer instead of buying a new Macbook, but if there's no solution under $500, I think I'd just get the new computer. Does anyone know of a place that can repair LCD monitors for cheap (and that's trustworthy)? Thanks

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

LCD panels are darned expensive. Your only real chance to do this on the cheap would be to pick up a second-hand panel (or identical powerbook with faulty logic board but good panel) via ebay. Even then, they're a real s*d to fit, so you'd have to pay an engineer.

Frankly, you'd be better off replacing the machine - either with something similar second-hand (which, ironically, is likely to cost a lot less than replacing the LCD in your existing machine) or with a new MacBook, which offer a lot more power for relatively little cost.

3. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

If all else fails, you would be at least be able to use the PowerBook as a desktop with an external display.

5. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

1. Live with it
    2. eBay
    3. External
    4. Sell it & get another / newer model

In that order probably.

6. taibien86 thread starter macrumors member

If I were to buy an LCD off eBay, would any 15" screen work or is there a specific kind I would need?

Plus, how good are the online tutorials for installing a LCD screen?

7. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I've done many LCD replacements before, and quite honestly If you've ever taken apart any electronic device and have common sense for screw management and delicate wires you'll be fine. iFixit is a really helpful tool for doing your own replacements, and I think if you find a cheap matching panel it should be pretty easy to replace on your own.

If you need help, the forums are always here!

8. macinfojunkie macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

I had a similar issue when I cracked the LCD on my work Dell D600 laptop. Dell were quoting £500 ($1000) parts and lab. for a replacement. A new D620 cost £420 ($USD800)! Guess which one I went for!

BTW, can't you claim for the damage on your household insurance?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Generally not always a good idea to file such a small claim if you have a loan, since it can lead to non-renewal of the policy if you live in a higher risk section of the country.

10. geissap macrumors member

One recommendation I have is try to find the Display MODULE/ASSEMBLY could be called either. It is a much much easier repair to do then the actual LCD Panel. If your don't have to reroute all the wiring and deal with the bezel it's way easier.

It may cost you a 100 extra bucks for a display assembly vs. display panel but it's worth it in my opinoin.

Just a recommendation.