cracked macbook pro $

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaKyd55, Feb 4, 2011.

1. DaKyd55 macrumors member

i have a 1 year old macbook pro and im not sure how but when i opened my computer the outside of the screen was cracked. the actual screen was unharmed but the shell on the outside was cracked including the black part. how much is this fo fix? :mad:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You have to replace the entire screen. Look up the going rate for a new screen and throw in ~$50-100 for labor.

3. un.titled macrumors regular

4. LikuidMetal macrumors regular

LikuidMetal

I had mine replaced but apple covered it for free. I asked the going cost on the replacement of the unit. Plan on spending at the max $550.00

5. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Through Apple a glossy clamshell display (15") (the whole thing) is $453.41. The cost of a hardware repair-level 1 is $39.00. The total, without tax, is this $492.41.

If you are lucky, they may replace it for free- though I think for that to be a viable option you still need to have Apple care covering it.

I'm really sorry about your screen.

6. rjbruce macrumors regular

If you're not the least bit technical I'm not sure I would do it. Looks pretty involved. If you do though, make sure you wear some dust free, lint free gloves. Getting it back together only to find a fingerprint on the inside would be a real downer.

Only you know if your capable, just read the instructions thoroughly before ordering any parts to make sure you're comfortable and if at any point you think you're in over your head STOP!

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Good Luck if you attempt this, I`m reasonably competent at minor repairs but this does look a fairly involved job.
    Post back with your results if you attempt it and ,as was said above, if you start to get worried then stop and seek expert help.