Cracked Macbook screen, should I send it off to get it replaced?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nvjusme, Apr 11, 2009.

1. nvjusme macrumors member

nvjusme

Hey everyone,

I dropped my Macbook tonight and now there is a screen crack on the bottom left hand side and now I can either buy a new Macbook and sell this one on Ebay or I can send it off to get it fixed for around $200 on various online people or ___________________ (what do you think?)

Anyone out there had experience with replacing a Macbook screen?

Anyone got any advice on a cheap way to get this screen replaced?

Thanks

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...does the rest of the macbook work?

If so, depending on how old it is, you may just want to use it as a desktop with an external monitor connected as the repair may not be worth the cost...

3. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

4. TheScavenger macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

Repair shops are offering to fix the screen for $200? Does this includes the screen and install? Killer deal if it does.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you want to use it as a laptop ever again, you're going to have to spend the money to get it fixed. If you're under AppleCare, and if you want the warranty to not remain voided, the repair will need to be completed by an Apple Certified Technician. A MacBook screen is going to cost you about $300 for the part alone (as that's the price Apple sets), plus installation costs.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

MacBook*

and if you are willing to, you could grab a monitor, wireless keyboard + mighty mouse and have a nice desktop setup.

i would never sell a MacBook for less than 450 even with it's broken screen.

7. nvjusme thread starter macrumors member

nvjusme

more info on the cracked screen macbook

The rest of the Macbook is completely perfect and there is no damage to the casing, it's just that the screen is cracked internally of course so you'll be able to see that upon opening the screen.

I am just trying to find the best option and asking for opinions.
    thanks guys and gals

8. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

If you are looking for a real deal and you are good at following instructions, the best bet is buying a replacement LCD panel on ebay and installing it yourself. You could probably get one for about $80.

Or you could still go to any Apple repair shop.

9. rogair macrumors member

If you're going to correct someone about spelling, at least spell it correctly yourself.

OP, fix the screen, but shop around for the best price.

10. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

someone else posted a similar thread about having an "internally cracked" screen. i suggested it wasn't his screen but his graphics card. i think you should post photos of your alleged cracked screen.