Cracked MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sasha.danielle, Sep 21, 2016.

1. sasha.danielle macrumors regular

So, I accidentally cracked part of my MacBook (2015, gold 128gb). A tiny bead from my shirt had fallen off and landed behind the hinge. When I closed the screen I heard a cracking sound. The bead had pushed through the plastic piece at the bottom of the screen (the black plastic piece where it says "MacBook" in gold lettering). Everything still works fine and I fit a piece of tape over the whole to keep dust and debris out, but the whole aesthetic of the thing (and resale value) is compromised.

Does anyone know if this piece can be replaced without also replacing the whole screen? And also how much (I've run out of Apple Care)?

2. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

Have you got a picture of the exact problem? Easier to tell you what to do then.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Highly likely an entire new top case will be the solution, or a little imagination and the right tape.

Q-6

4. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Sorry don't see any other options, nor sadly will it be cheap unless Apple is feeling gracious. Take it in and see what they say, however doubt it will be a replaceable part as Apple has a modular approach to repairs.

Q-6

6. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

It's what I figured. Sad though, as I was contemplating selling it and picking up a MBP if all the rumors of that machine are true.

The MB is otherwise mint; I wonder what I would still get for it.