cracked my screen a bit, help?

wwjbd24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
hey guys, i just got an iphone 4 not a week ago, and today i accidentally dropped another phone on top of it, causing what i thought was a cracked screen! So i took off the screen protector and there was a hairline, but deep, scratch just above the earpiece and front camera. does anyone know what i can do to fix it or if I can return it on my warranty? thanks! here's a drawing for reference:

Attachments

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2010
Warranty won't cover it. I also heard that if u have other problems down the road, apple may blame the crack for the problem. Therefore your warranty is gone

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
You can try taking it back. The worse they can say is no, then there are plenty of options out there of fixing it yourself

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

wwjbd24 said:
MCRunning said:
You can try taking it back. The worse they can say is no, then there are plenty of options out there of fixing it yourself

thanks for the responses! could you elaborate please?
I don't have a link for you, as I am posting from my iP4, however, if you Google "fix an iPhone 4 cracked screen", you will get a few links to sites that are selling the iP4 screen, as well as instructions on how to replace it yourself.

wwjbd24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
thanks once more, i probably should have googled it! duhh!

it looks pretty complicated and I think i'd rather just leave it, as i'm not technical at all, thanks alot though

wwjbd24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
went to apple, they said they couldnt do anything except replace it for 199, complete ripoff. i guess i'll have to live with it

does anyone know of any cases that cover the top earpiece area?

Savage

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
SoCal
Why did you create a drawing for reference rather than a picture of the phone? All you need is a mirror and you can even take the picture with the phone itself.

wwjbd24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Why did you create a drawing for reference rather than a picture of the phone? All you need is a mirror and you can even take the picture with the phone itself.
in theory, yes, in practice, not so much...

duction

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
U to the K
Why do u ****rs need evidence of someones misfutune? Trolls. Hate u

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
went to apple, they said they couldnt do anything except replace it for 199, complete ripoff. i guess i'll have to live with it

does anyone know of any cases that cover the top earpiece area?
I'm not sure apple giving you a $600-$700 phone for $199 qualifies as a rip off.

Was the phone in a case by the way, just curious.

wwjbd24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I'm not sure apple giving you a $600-$700 phone for $199 qualifies as a rip off.

Was the phone in a case by the way, just curious.
yea i guess you're right, buying one outright would suck

I had a screen protector (sgp ultra oleo) on, which i think saved it a bit, and i had the carbon fiber back sticker, so no case, per se

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
OP, why didnt you just lie and say the crack occured naturally? they would have replaced it.

wwjbd24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Just an update, I took it in, told the truth about me dropping it and the genius bar person was very understanding and gave me a one time replacement for free! I better be more careful haha

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Just an update, I took it in, told the truth about me dropping it and the genius bar person was very understanding and gave me a one time replacement for free! I better be more careful haha
Nice!
Being honest pays off. Just be more careful and all will be ok.
Strange though that it even happened with a screen protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.